[Libs-Or] Position Announcement: Library Executive Assistant, PSU
bielavit at pdx.edu
Wed Feb 21 12:40:12 PST 2007
Library Executive Assistant
Portland State University seeks an energetic and progressive professional
for the position of Library Executive Assistant.
General Information: The Administrative Office of the Library facilitates
the responsible and cost effective personnel, fiscal, and administrative
functions performed by the Portland State Library's 30 faculty and 47 staff.
The Library's total budget for fiscal year 2006, including payroll, was over
$10,000,000. Main Library divisions include Public Services, Technical
Services, and Library Technologies. The Office faces heavy demands due to
changing priorities, challenging situations, the needs of campus
administration, and sensitive personnel and community relationships.
Position Summary: The Library Executive Assistant position reports to the
University Librarian (UL) and facilitates her work in any way possible,
advising and assisting the UL and the members of the Library Administrative
Council on matters of personnel, administrative policies and procedures, and
external relationships and responsibilities. This position is a full-time
position which, due to its confidential nature and contact with sensitive
personnel, budgeting, and donor information, is excluded from the AAUP
Assistant to the University Librarian (65%):
* Performs confidential executive assistant functions for the UL,
including scheduling, arranging meetings and travel;
* Drafting and/or proofreading documents, correspondence, personnel
and budget forms; assisting with personnel recruitment;
* Screening and routing correspondence, calls, and visitors;
* Recording meeting minutes and following up on meeting actions and
* Maintaining the UL's calendar and files;
* Tracking priorities and deadlines;
* Foreseeing the UL's work that can be anticipated and prepared for
her review and/or action;
* Assisting in the UL's professional service and scholarly
* Assisting the UL in cultivating donors; networking with comparable
positions in all campus administrative offices to the mutual benefit of the
Library administration and those offices;
* Projecting a service oriented, professional image with the
recognition that it reflects directly upon the UL and the Portland State
* Recognizing and implementing organizational, alerting, and follow-up
mechanisms that would facilitate the most effective and efficient use of the
Administrative Council members' time and attention;
* Maintains accurate information on the administration sections of the
Library's web site.
Staff to the Friends of the Library (FOL) (25%):
* In consultation with the UL and the President of the FOL, plans,
prepares for, attends, and follows up on FOL Board, committee, and
membership meetings and programs;
* Insures fiscal integrity for the FOL accounts and other assets, and
has signatory authority on the FOL accounts;
* Maintains accurate and complete FOL archives and highly confidential
* Maintains and monitors FOL program, membership, committee, meeting,
publication, mailing and activity calendars;
* Oversees timely FOL pledge and membership renewal reminders;
* Creates articles for the FOL newsletter, program publicity, and
* Creates and maintains accurate FOL web pages at the Library's web
* Serves as liaison among the FOL and the Library, University
Relations, and the PSU Foundation;
* May cultivate sponsors or partners for programs or program
Facilitates grants, contracts, and public relations (5%):
* Assists in identifying and fostering external funding opportunities;
* Facilitates the generation and monitoring of grants, contracts, and
other aspects of extramural funding;
* Assists in developing and implementing public relations for the
Library in close liaison with the University Relations Office.
Other duties as assigned (5%):
Participates as a member of Administrative Office team in addressing
priority needs of the moment, which may include greeting and appropriately
referring visitors or callers, meeting administrative, budget, and personnel
deadlines with necessary paperwork and errands. Establishes and documents
policies and procedures related to position responsibilities.
The Library Executive Assistant is privy to all content, including that of
the highest confidentiality, with which the University Librarian and
Assistant University Librarians must work to administer personnel, budget,
legal, service, and donor activities. The position must have the knowledge,
judgment, and ability to interpret and make decisions in order to accurately
screen, prioritize, refer or act upon all matters that confront the UL and
* Baccalaureate degree. Graduate degree preferred, particularly one
related to personnel, budget, administration, marketing, or librarianship.
Demonstrative Experience and Administrative Qualities:
* Relevant technology skills and successful experience with office
application software including spreadsheets, email, electronic calendars,
word processing, database creation and maintenance, and web resources.
* 3 years successful office management and administrative experience.
* Evidence of excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication
* Evidence of excellent planning, organizational, and project
* Ability to be a proactive, independent self-starter, capable of
handling a fluctuating workload and stressful situations.
* Ability to prioritize workloads and multiple deadlines.
* Ability to organize, delegate, administer, communicate, make sound
judgments, and meet deadlines.
* Ability to learn quickly, multi-task, work independently.
* Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of
diverse campus faculty, staff, and administrators, as well as with diverse
members of the public.
* Strong work, service, and professional ethics with reputation for
reliability, integrity, accuracy, sensitivity, productivity, and
* Ability to maintain confidentiality over personnel, donor, budget,
and other sensitive matters.
* Commitment to public service.
* Enthusiasm for and working with diverse colleagues and clientele.
* Library experience.
* Experience with electronic information and business systems at
Portland State or similar institutions.
* Experience with personnel management or in human resources.
* Successful experience managing volunteer activities.
* Project management experience.
* Experience identifying, obtaining, and meeting requirements of
grant, gift, or contract.
Portland State, a nationally recognized leader in community-based learning,
is located on the tree-lined blocks of downtown Portland and offers its
almost 25,000 students more than 100 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral
Salary and Benefits:
Full time, 12-month position. Salary is $45,600 as well as an attractive
benefits package including 22.5 paid vacation days and 12 paid sick leave
days per year, choice of retirement and group health plans, and staff
Open until finalists are identified.
Send cover letter; resume; and names, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail
addresses of four references to:
Tom Bielavitz, AUL for Administrative Services and Planning
Portland State University
PO Box 1151
Portland, OR 97207-1151
bielavit at pdx.edu
We strongly prefer to receive application materials electronically. For
questions, contact Tom Bielavitz at bielavit at pdx.edu , (503) 725-4576.
Online ad: http://www.hrc.pdx.edu.htm <http://www.hrc.pdx.edu.htm/> . In
cover letter, address how your knowledge and experiences meet
Portland State is an AA/EO institution and, in keeping with the President's
diversity initiative, welcomes applications from diverse candidates and
candidates who support diversity.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Libs-Or