[Libs-Or] [Fwd: [Libsup-l] ALA-APA Call for Newsletter Writers]

Suzanne Sager bvss at pdx.edu
Wed Oct 15 06:53:03 PDT 2008

FYI

Suzanne L. Sager
ALA Oregon Chapter Councilor

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[Libsup-l] ALA-APA Call for Newsletter Writers
Date: 	Wed, 15 Oct 2008 09:36:07 -0400
From: 	Jenifer Grady <jgrady at ala.org>
To: 	library support staff <libsup-l at u.washington.edu>

Please forward as appropriate.  Thank you.

ALA-APA is looking for writers for Library Worklife: HR E-News for
Today's Leaders <http://www.ala-apa.org/newsletter/current.html> , a
monthly electronic publication that goes to thousands of ALA member
libraries and subscribers.

ALA-APA continues to inform readers about issues-career advancement,
certification, human resources practice, pay equity, recruitment,
research, work/life balance-that concern all library workers.  There's
even a category just for support staff issues, though newsletter
articles are relevant for all library workers.  One way to ensure that
the publication reflects your concerns and celebrates your victories is
to become a featured author.  Articles are 1200 words or less.

Research, best and worst practices, and personal stories of triumph are
welcome.  We will also reprint with permission great articles from other
publications.

For more information, please see our Call for Submissions
<http://www.ala-apa.org/newsletter/submissions.html> .  Contact our
office if you have questions at jgrady at ala.org or 800-545-2433, x2424.
Writers who commit to three articles in a 12 month period receive a free
subscription.

If you'd like to write, please email me the topic and your preferred
deadline.  Thank you!

Sample ideas:

*         Talking about politics in the workplace

*         Handling office romances

*         Developing a great relationship with your boss

*         Finding a job when you're trailing your partner

*         Why you would take a lateral career move

*         Learning style assessments

*         Personality assessments

*         Management assessments

*         Conflict management in the office

*         Explaining why you left an organization or seem to "move a
lot" and how to talk about a bad situation without burning a bridge or
yourself

*         Sloppy speech habits like "uh"

*         Developing a personal budget and financial goals

*         Great staff development programs (yes, I'm still looking)

*         How to get someone to critique your resume and how not to get
caught in the critique cycle

*         Business ethics

*         Interviewer styles

*         How to follow up after an interview

*         Asking for a raise during a promotion

*         Tips for working from home

*         How a career coach can make a difference

*         What every library employee needs to keep in/on their desk

Get REAL SALARY DATA with the Library Salary Database -
http://cs.ala.org/websurvey/salarysurvey/salarysurveyform/form.cfm

Become a CERTIFIED PUBLIC LIBRARY ADMINISTRATOR -
http://www.ala-apa.org/certification/cplaapplication.html

Jenifer Grady, MSLS, MBA, CAE - jgrady at ala.org

Director, American Library Association-Allied Professional Association
(ALA-APA)

50 East Huron, Chicago, IL 60611

312-280-2424 (o), 312-280-5013 (f)

http://www.ala-apa.org

ALA-APA advocates for improving the Salaries and Status of Library
Employees