[Libs-Or] Homeschooling services offered by OHEN

Stephanie Nystrom steph at nystromengineering.com
Fri Sep 12 09:34:51 PDT 2008

Do you have patrons asking to learn more about homeschooling?

I am from the Oregon Home Education Network (OHEN), the state's first
and largest, inclusive, nonprofit, volunteer-run organization, dedicated
to the support of all of Oregon's homeschooling families.

Andrea Milano suggested that I contact you and let you know about the
services that we offer:

    * Homeschooling 101, where a panel of 2-3 experience homeschoolers
      present a handout of local information on homeschooling and answer
      questions.  The presentation takes about 1.5 hours, and consists
      of introductions, a general overview of homeschooling in Oregon,
      and a lengthy question and answer period.  The presentation is
      free.  We have offered this program in libraries in Beaverton,
      Fairview, Hillsboro, Milwaukie, Portland, and Tigard within the
      past two years to audiences of 15-45 people.  Although all of our
      recent presentations have been within the Portland metro area, we
      are willing to present anywhere in the state.

    * OHEN Homeschool Resource Guide for $10 that includes:

    1. General Information on Homeschooling (4 pages)
    2. Legal Information on Homeschooling in Oregon (6 pages)
    3. Homeschool Resources (includes websites, books and magazines) (5
    pages)
    4. Statewide Homeschool Groups (2 pages)
    5. Local Homeschool Groups (10 pages)
    6. Alternative Education (includes charter schools, correspondence
    courses, distance learning and volunteer opportunities) (4 pages)
    7. Special Needs Resources (includes support groups and information
    on Privately Developed Plans (PDPs)) (5 pages)
    8. Approved List of Homeschool Testers (~30 pages) [subject to change]

    The OHEN Homeschool Resource Guide comes in a 3-ring binder so that
    it is easy to update.  If you purchase a binder or binders, you can
    subscribe to updates for free.

    * E-mail and phone helplines to answer all of your homeschooling
      questions

      Phone: 503-321-5166 (voice mail)

      E-mail: info at ohen.com <mailto:info at ohen.com>

    * A website full of up-to-date homeschool resources and information:
      http://www.ohen.org/

Please let me know if there is anything that we can do for you!
Stephanie Nystrom
OHEN Website Coordinator