[Libs-Or] New eLearning Opportunities Available from ACRL

Robin A. Paynter paynter at pdx.edu
Tue Sep 16 09:24:29 PDT 2008

ACRL is excited to announce registration for upcoming eLearning events!
Space is limited, so reserve your seat today!

*The Role of the Librarian in Combating Student Plagiarism*
Format: 90 Minute Webcast
Date: September 23, 2008 -- 11 A.M. Pacific | 12:00 P.M. Mountain | 1:00
P.M. Central | 2:00 P.M. Eastern
Presenter: Lynn Lampert

*Description*
Like other educators, librarians are aware of the growing instances of
student plagiarism and academic dishonesty that take place on college
campuses. Librarians frequently anecdotally discuss discipline faculty's
revulsion toward the growth of student plagiarism that has seemingly
grown in tandem with our society's dependence on digital texts found on
the Internet. We acknowledge that this problem is often an effective
hook to convince reluctant faculty to bring students into the library
for instruction.  However once we get these professors and students into
our library classrooms, we typically have a hard time presenting
curricular content that focuses on anti-plagiarism student learning
outcomes and/or developing additional outreach techniques that can be
included in information literacy outreach and instruction to both
faculty and students.

For more information on this event as well as registration, please visit
the event page at
http://www.acrl.org/ala/acrl/acrlproftools/plagiarism.cfm.  Registration
for this event is limited, so reserve your seat today!

*Introduction to Website Usability*
Format: ACRL Online Seminar
Dates: October 6-24, 2008
Presenter: Nora Dimmock

*For very little investment in staff hours and training you can reap
tremendous benefits by connecting with the users of your library website
and web based applications through usability testing. This three-week
course is designed for the librarian or library IT staff person who is
interested in setting up a usability program but doesn't know where to
begin. Through a combination of reading assignments, online discussions,
and hands-on activities, students will:

·  Deepen their understanding of the value of usability testing when
developing new web-based systems and services for their library.
·  Develop a test protocol that meets their institutions requirements
for research studies involving human subjects testing.
·  Devise a strategy for recruiting test subjects from different user
groups.
·  Learn the most commonly used types of tests and where they fit into
the iterative design cycle.**

For more information on this event as well as registration, please visit
the event page at
http://www.acrl.org/ala/acrl/acrlproftools/Website_Usability.cfm.
Registration for this event is limited, so reserve your seat today!.

* Webcasts take place in an interactive, online classroom environment
with one user/one login. *If you select the group rate, one person must
register, login, and keyboard during the event.* A group registration
allows an institution to project the Webcast to participants in the same
location.

Questions?  Please contact Jon Stahler at jstahler at ala.org
<mailto:jstahler at ala.org>.

********
ACRL is a division of the American Library Association (ALA),
representing more than 13,000 academic and research librarians and
interested individuals. ACRL is the only individual membership
organization in North America that develops programs, products and
services to meet the unique needs of academic and research librarians.
Its initiatives enable the higher education community to understand the
role that academic libraries play in the teaching, learning and research
environments.

FYI, Robin

--
Portland State University logo

*Robin Paynter*
Social Sciences Librarian
220D Library
Portland State University

503.725.4501
503.725.4524
paynter at pdx.edu
http://www.pdx.edu/library/paynter.html

"The fragmentation of rational knowledge in the postmodern world has
produced a focus on information that is unaware of its history." --
Marcus Breen (1997)