[Libs-Or] BCR WebLive Workshop Announcement

Bobbi Navarro bnavarro at BCR.ORG
Tue Sep 23 10:30:17 PDT 2008

Understanding the OCLC Authority Record - Online
http://www.bcr.org/training/schedule/programdetail.php?programid=186

This workshop concentrates on authority records in OCLC - those for personal names, corporate names, geographic names, subjects and titles. We'll discuss the structure of the MARC authority record as it displays in OCLC cataloging interfaces, including many of the fixed field elements.

Looking at the broader picture, we'll talk about the purpose of authority data and how it works with the headings in bibliographic records to improve a catalog's organization and users' ability to navigate through it and find the resources they need and want.

NOTE: This course is designed for individual participation. Regardless of whether you attend as an individual or as a group, the fee for this online workshop will be charged for each person who views the session. All participants must register separately.

Who Should Attend:
Anyone with responsibility for cataloging or bibliographic database maintenance who wants to learn more about OCLC authority records. Beginners to the subject are more than welcome.

Sites & Dates:
Online - WebLive

10/7/2008
1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
   AND
10/9/2008
1:00 PM - 3:00 PM

All times listed are in Mountain Time.

Fees:
BCR members -- $110.00

Nonmembers -- $160.00
1 BCR training voucher accepted as payment.

Register now: http://www.bcr.org/training/workshops/register.html

Bobbi Navarro
BCR
Training & OCLC Services
14394 East Evans Avenue
Aurora, CO 80014
Email: bnavarro at bcr.org
Phone: 303.751.6277 / 800.397.1552 ext 126
Fax: 303.751.9787