[Libs-Or] Library Handout Design workshop

Roberta Richards rrichard at pcc.edu
Thu Apr 16 10:57:18 PDT 2009

Worth the paper they're printed on -- How to improve your library handouts

Friday, May 29, 2009, 9:00 - 11:30 a.m.
Portland Community College, Cascade Campus
TEB (Technology Education Building), Room 226
705 N. Killingsworth Street
Portland, OR 97217
For directions and parking information, see
http://www.pcc.edu/about/locations/cascade/

Workshop description:

 Librarians can learn a lot from document designers like Edward Tufte who
champion the printed piece of paper as our most effective
information-delivery device. In this hands-on workshop you'll learn some
simple document design principles to improve your library handouts,
including

*	Tufte-inspired design principles
*	Word's document design features like tables and typefaces
*	capturing and editing screen images with the free FireFox plug-in
FireShot
*	options for printing or uploading your document

In a time when we are all trying to do more with less, a well-designed
handout is an inexpensive but powerful tool for making our information
literacy instruction more effective.   Whether your goal is to extend the
learning that takes place in a library instruction class or create
attractive how-to brochures, you need a well-designed, content rich
document.

If you have a Word file of a handout you're already working on and would
like to improve, or ideas for a new handout you'd like to create, bring
those along.  Anna Johnson (MHCC) will share her Tufte-inspired handout
template and walk you through a few simple steps to edit and adapt your
existing file. By the end of the workshop you'll have a handout that your
users will want to hang on to long after they've left the library.

 Presenters:

Anna Johnson has over 15 years of experience as a document designer and
digital workflow guru. She is the instruction coordinator at Mt Hood
Community College Library where she designs and delivers more than 100
different presentations every year, each with its own customized handout.

Cost:
Student/retiree rate: $25.00
Regular rate: $35.00

Registration:
Register at www.portals.org

Roberta Richards, MLS

Library CE Outreach, Reference Librarian
SY LIB 202, Portland Community College
PO Box 19000
Portland, OR 97280-0990
rrichard at pcc.edu