[Libs-Or] QuickStats - NEW Online Tool Makes Postsecondary Education Data Available to Public
reed_ann at oslmac.osl.state.or.us
Wed Apr 15 08:45:33 PDT 2009
QuickStats - NEW Online Tool Makes Data Available to Public
The National Center for Education Statistics announces the availability of QuickStats, a new data tool that makes several postsecondary education datasets easily accessible to the public.
QuickStats allows public access for data consumers -- such as policy makers, legislative staff, journalists, students, and others -- to answer questions using data collected by NCES. Users can easily create tables by selecting from a list of datasets, then selecting variables contained within as column and row categories, employing a simple drag-and-drop process. Once the tables are produced, they can choose to view their results in bar graph form, downloads into MS Excel, create a printer layout, or save them by generating a unique table ID for quick retrieval.
QuickStats allows users to obtain data from the following studies:
* NEW! National Postsecondary Student Aid Study (NPSAS:08). Just released, NPSAS:08 is the most current nationally representative study of U.S. undergraduate and graduate students, with a special focus on how students and their families pay for college. QuickStats also includes data from NPSAS:04.
* Baccalaureate and Beyond (B & B), a study of bachelor's degree recipients and their plans for and experiences after college graduation, including graduate study. The 1992-1993 longitudinal cohort was followed periodically for 10 years after graduation.
* Beginning Postsecondary Students Longitudinal Study (BPS), which follows first-time students beginning their postsecondary education, typically over a period of 6 years. The 1995-96 cohort was followed through 2001. The 2003-04 cohort was interviewed in 2006 and is currently being interviewed again.
* National Survey of Postsecondary Faculty (NSOPF), a study of full-time and part-time postsecondary faculty and instructional staff at 2-year and 4-year institutions. NSOPF was last conducted in 2004.
QuickStats users can answer such questions as:
* What percentage of all undergraduates are obtaining student loans and how much have they borrowed?
* What is the average cost of attending one year at a private 4-year college?
* What percentage of low-income freshmen who started college in fall 2003 were still enrolled three years later?
* What was the average debt of graduating seniors in 2008?
* What percentage of Hispanic 2008 bachelor's degree recipients enrolled in graduate study?
Ann Reed, Federal Programs Coordinator
Library Development Services, Oregon State Library
250 Winter St. NE
Salem, OR 97301
phone: (503) 378-5027
fax: (503) 378-6439
ann.reed at state.or.us
More information about the Libs-Or