[Libs-Or] New SSD Certification Scholarships

Gilmont, Susan susan.gilmont at oregonstate.edu
Fri Aug 14 09:28:59 PDT 2009

Oregon Library Support Staff Certification Scholarships

An anonymous donor has given $1,000 to help five (5) Oregon library support staff members apply for national certification in 2010. Certification scholarships apply $200 towards the $350 application fee to enter the ALA-APA Library Support Staff Certification Program.

• The scholarship is open to any SSD member having a high school diploma, at least one year of library experience, and who has been employed within the last three years in an Oregon library. (Note:  the usual limitation of one SSD award in 18 months applies.)

• Applicants will be responsible for the remaining cost of the registration fee.

For more information on the LSSCP, see: http://www.ala-apa.org/lsscp/index.html

Note:  there is a real scramble going on with the LSSCP to get ready for the Fall term test classes and the official start in January, 2010.  I’ve written to the field test sites, and many of their classes have not yet been approved for LSSCP.  *As soon as* we get the word, we will let everybody know about approved classes.  SSD scholarships not dedicated to conferences can be used for classes.  Also, please note that it is not necessary to take classes in order to gain certified status – there is a portfolio method available to show what you know.

Certification is an exciting development, and there will be much more to add about this program and its implications for Oregon support staff.

Susan Gilmont  Library Tech III
Guin Library  Hatfield Marine Science Ctr
2030 S Marine Science Dr
Oregon State University
Newport  OR  97365-5296  USA

susan.gilmont at oregonstate.edu
541-867-0162

"I like people who can do things. When Edward & I struggled in vain to drag our big calf into the barn, the Irish girl put her finger into the calf's mouth, & led her in directly."  --Ralph Waldo Emerson, Journal, May 25, 1862