[Libs-Or] [Fwd: [alacro-l] ALA Seeking Stories on Technology Use- Job Seeking, E Government, etc.]

Suzanne Sager bvss at pdx.edu
Tue Aug 18 07:12:37 PDT 2009

FYI

Suzanne L. Sager
Oregon ALA Chapter Councilor

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[alacro-l] ALA Seeking Stories on Technology Use- Job Seeking,
E Government, etc.
Date: 	Mon, 17 Aug 2009 11:14:43 -0400
From: 	Michael Dowling <mdowling at ala.org>
To: 	ALACRO-L <alacro-l at ala.org>

To Chapters:

Could you please forward this message to your discussion lists.

Thank you!

Michael

_________

The ALA Public Information Office and the Office for Research &
Statistics are preparing to release the 2009 Public Library Funding &
Technology Access Study on Tuesday, September 15, and are seeking
"real-life" stories to include as part of our pitch focusing on
increased library use -- including technology use -- particularly for
job-seeking and e-government.

There are a few different ways that you might be able to be part of our
national pitch:

·         Have you partnered with a local/state government agency to
provide information or training in job-seeking or government services
(including unemployment benefits, Medicare sign-up, etc.)? Would your
government partner or local elected official be willing to talk about
the impact of this initiative?

·         Do you have a patron or patrons that would be willing to talk
about how the library helped connect him/her with government information
or services or helped him/her get employment?

·         Have you seen increased use of library technology in the past
year (including computer sign-ups, wireless usage, database use,
circulation of electronic materials, etc.)? Please be specific.

·         Have you made changes in how you deploy your technology in the
past year to assist with job-seeking and/or e-gov (including creating a
job center, bringing back old computers to meet increased demand,
offering new computer/Web classes, etc)?

If you have any information along these lines, we'd love to hear from
you. We understand this story has been told to a certain extent, but
know that compelling human interest can always attract attention. We
also hope the e-government angle may provide a bit of a fresh
perspective and help us raise awareness among elected officials.
Government trade media will be part of our target audience for the pitch.

Please send information to Larra Clark at lclark at ala.org
<mailto:lclark at ala.org> by August 25.  Thanks in advance!

--
Portland State University logo