[Libs-Or] ALA Calls for ‘Public Option’ in Health Care Reform

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 11:25:20 PDT 2009

 ALA Calls for ‘Public Option’ in Health Care Reform
<http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?p=3524> August 19th, 2009 |
Category: Other <http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?cat=4>
http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?p=3524

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Jenni Terry <jterry at alawash.org>

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The American Library Association (ALA) today sent a
letter<http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Health-Care-Letter-to-Congress-8-19-09-_2_.pdf>to
all members of Congress, voicing its support for including a “public
option” in health care reform legislation.

The association, which represents over 65,000 members, also supports a
“single-payer” option and believes removing public options, including
potential cooperative arrangements, from the final legislation would not
accomplish the strong reform needed.

“Without a ‘single-payer’ provision, ALA is even more committed to retaining
a ‘public option’ as reform legislation moves forward,” Emily Sheketoff,
executive director of the ALA Washington Office, said.  “Like every segment
of our society, our nation’s library budgets are being outpaced and even
consumed with increasing costs of health care.  With the vast majority of
librarians and library workers employed in the public sector, the rising
cost of providing health insurance has placed enormous burdens on state and
local governments.  This makes it increasingly difficult for them to
adequately fund libraries – and threatens our ability to serve the public.”

Sheketoff said the association has previously informed Congress of its
support of health care reforms and is calling upon Congress again to pass
significant legislation that will ensure health care is available to all.

An ALA resolution passed at the association’s July 2009 Annual Conference in
Chicago states, “The ever-increasing expense of health care benefits
continues to inhibit the ability of libraries to create career opportunities
for librarians and library workers, stunts improvements in wages and thereby
threatens the future of our profession and our libraries.”

“Libraries must be able to offer affordable and comprehensive health care
insurance to assure healthy employees, to manage library budgets and to
promote healthy communities that our libraries serve.  We need a public
option to make this happen,” Sheketoff said.

--
Diedre Conkling
Lincoln County Library District
Work email:  diedre at beachbooks.org