[Libs-Or] [Fwd: [alacro-l] CPSIA - Lead in Books]

Suzanne Sager bvss at pdx.edu
Wed Aug 26 13:01:01 PDT 2009

FYI

Suzanne L. Sager
Oregon ALA Chapter Councilor

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[alacro-l] CPSIA - Lead in Books
Date: 	Wed, 26 Aug 2009 15:54:54 -0400
From: 	Emily Sheketoff <esheketoff at alawash.org>
To: 	Julie Walker <jwalker at ala.org>, Aimee Strittmatter
<astrittmatter at ala.org>, Beth Yoke <byoke at ala.org>, Joseph Potaczek
<jpotaczek at ala.org>
CC: 	<alacro-l at ala.org>

*CPSC Issues Rule Regarding Lead Standards; More Guidance To Come for
Libraries*

As the American Library Association (ALA) has emphasized since first
enactment of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA),
concern for children's safety is our first priority in providing
materials to young patrons.  On August 26, 2009, the CPSC's final rule
on children's products containing lead was released.  *In the rule, CPSC
confirmed that libraries have no independent obligation to test library
books for lead under the law.*  CPSC also announced its intention to
release a Statement of Policy specifically providing guidance for
libraries with regard to the treatment of older children's books that
could potentially contain lead.  According to our conversations with
CPSC officials, that Statement of Policy should be released within the
next several weeks.

While we await the Statement of Policy, ALA recommends that libraries
take the following actions.  If a library is aware that any children's
book does indeed contain lead above the legal limits or otherwise
presents a danger to children, it should remove it from public access,
for instance by moving it to the non-circulating collection.  We would
also ask that if libraries do learn of any books containing lead to
please let the ALA -- Washington Office know so that we might  share
that information with other libraries.  When the Statement of Policy is
released, we will promptly notify our members.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Jessica
McGilvray, Assistant Director of the ALA Office of Government Relations
at jmcgilvray at alwash.org <mailto:jmcgilvray at alwash.org> or 1-800-941-8478.

Jessica McGilvray

Assistant Director

American Library Association

Washington Office - Office of Government Relations

1615 New Hampshire Ave., N.W., 1st Floor

Washington, D.C. 20009-2520

phone: 202-628-8410

fax: 202-628-8419

--