[Libs-Or] [Fwd: [alacoun] We Need Immediate Action]

Suzanne Sager bvss at pdx.edu
Fri Feb 6 11:22:05 PST 2009

FYI,

Suzanne L. Sager
ALA Oregon Chapter Councelor

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[alacoun] We Need Immediate Action
Date: 	Fri, 6 Feb 2009 14:14:23 -0500
From: 	Emily Sheketoff <esheketoff at alawash.org>
To: 	<alacoun at ala.org>
CC: 	ALA COL <alacol2 at ala.org>

Please, we need everyone to make calls to ALL  YOUR Senators IMMEDIATELY
to protect $200 million for libraries and community colleges to deploy
broadband services in the original language of the Senate stimulus
bill, H.R. 1, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009.   We
have just been advised that Senators Kent Conrad (ND-D) and Lindsey
Graham (SC-R) are expected to introduce Senate Amendment 501 which would
strip funding for libraries and broadband  and put it into additional
funding the FDIC.  If introduced, the vote could take place this afternoon.

The message is:  keep the $200 million for libraries and broadband in
H.R. 1 - defeat amendment 501.  Libraries provide information on jobs,
employment skills, and all other types of job-seeking information.  More
people are using libraries during these difficult times and the demand
for broadband is greater than ever.

ALA Office of Government Relations will keep you updated as the stimulus
debate continues on the Senate floor.  Please watch the District
Dispatch for updates.