[Libs-Or] Announcing the Oregon Books-for-China Project

Sapon-White, Richard richard.sapon-white at oregonstate.edu
Thu Feb 12 08:40:11 PST 2009

The letter below was sent out to Oregon library directors yesterday by
Jim Scheppke, Oregon State Librarian, announcing Oregon's
Books-for-China Project. We would like broad participation in the
project from as many libraries (and individuals) as possible.  Please
join us in this exciting opportunity!
Richard Sapon-White, Chair, OLA International Relations Round Table

State Library
250 Winter St. NE
Salem, OR 97301-3950
(503) 378-4243
FAX (503) 588-7119
TTY (503) 378-4334

February 11, 2009

Dear Oregon Library Director,

I would like to invite your library to be part of an exciting goodwill
project between Oregon and our sister province of Fujian.  We have an
opportunity to ship much-needed English language books to China in a
special arrangement coordinated by the Oregon State Library and the
Oregon Library Association's International Relations Round Table.

It is extremely difficult for Chinese libraries to purchase English
language books.  Without an import license, they cannot buy books
directly from overseas sources; they cannot freely convert Chinese Yuan
to foreign currency to pay foreign vendors; and the value of Chinese
Yuan is many times less than U.S. dollars.  Academic libraries in China
would like to fill gaps in their collections with American publications,
but many titles are out-of-print.  Public libraries would like to
support English-language learning in children and young adults, yet
cannot buy the desired books from overseas.  With help from you and the
Books-For-China Fund in New York, we can have a positive impact on the
situation with very little expense to Oregon libraries.

Our goal is to fill a shipping container with good condition, quality
books in the areas of science and technology, humanities and social
sciences (titles older than 5 years in these areas are still okay), and
books for children and young adults.  Public libraries are encouraged to
send fiction materials as well as nonfiction that is not outdated even
though it is not considered to be "academic" level material.  Books may
be gathered from sources other than libraries (personal collections,
book sale donations, etc.). Multiple copies are fine, but please do not
use this project for advocacy of any particular agenda (political,
religious, etc.).  Please also understand that Chinese libraries are
much more conservative in the materials they collect so we ask that you
not donate books that include sexually graphic text or images. Also,
please do not send outdated software manuals or materials of an
ephemeral nature. The books will be shipped later this year, and
distributed to academic and public libraries throughout Fujian.

The Oregon State Library (OSL) is the Books-for-China collection site.
If your library has access to a van or truck, please transport your
books to OSL yourself if possible. You may deliver books to OSL Monday
through Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. (Please call ahead if you are
delivering a large shipment.)  For questions about delivering books to
OSL, please call Joel Henderson at OSL, 503-378-2814. You may also ship
books to:

	Oregon State Library
	Books-for-China Project
	250 Winter Street NE
	Salem, OR  97301-3950

You may also send small shipments through the Orbis Cascade Alliance
Courier.  Please limit boxes to 1 cubic foot (such as a 19x15x6 standard
Baker & Taylor box) and 35 pounds if shipping via the courier. (If
delivering books on your own, boxes may be larger, but please not
heavier.) There are also limits on the number of boxes you can ship by
the courier, so please contact Teresa Landers, Corvallis-Benton County
Public Library, 541-766-6995 if you want to use this method.

Please help us reach our goal of sending 1,000 boxes. If every small
library in the state sent 4 boxes, every medium-sized library 6 boxes,
and large libraries 15 boxes, we would fill the container!

Thank you for being part of this exciting international goodwill
opportunity.

Sincerely,

Jim Scheppke
State Librarian