[Libs-Or] OLA 2009 Mock Caldecott Award results

FADER Ellen ellenf at multcolib.org
Thu Jan 15 18:34:03 PST 2009

On Saturday, January 10, nearly 35 library staff met at the Salem
(Oregon) Public Library to learn about the Caldecott medal, the official
American Library Association process for choosing the winner and honor
books, and how to analyze the art in picture books with the Caldecott
Medal in mind. We discussed 10 outstanding picture books and then voted
on our top choices. I want to thank presenters Nell Colburn and Steven
Engelfried who opened our eyes to new ways of looking at picture book
illustration, and to Kate Carter, Ronit Fahl, and Jackie Partch for
helping me to organize the workshop, choose the discussion books, update
the handouts and act as discussion facilitators. I also want to thank BJ
Quinlan for hosting the workshop in Salem. The workshop is an annual
learning opportunity offered by the Oregon Library Association (OLA)
Children's Services Division. Please consider joining us for the 2010
workshop (date to be determined).

The honor books were:
What to Do about Alice? by Barbara Kerley and illustrated by Edwin
Fotheringham
Wabi Sabi by Mark Reibstein and illustrated by Ed Young
River of Words by Jan Bryant and illustrated by Melissa Sweet

The winner of the 2009 OLA Mock Caldecott Award was Silent Music,
written and illustrated by James Rumford.

The actual 2009 Caldecott Medal will be announced during the American
Library Association's Youth Media Awards Press Conference live Webcast
at 7:45 a.m. PST on Monday, January 26, 2009. Follow the links that will
be on the ALA homepage at www.ala.org. Find the news release at
www.ala.org/alsc later that morning. The press release linked below
provides further details about the other awards the American Library
Association presents for books and other materials for children and
teens, and the numerous ways you can access the information about the
winners, including by text message to your phone.
http://www.ala.org/ala/newspresscenter/news/pressreleases2008/december20
08/youthmediaawardsannouncement.cfm

Ellen Fader
Youth Services Director