[Libs-Or] Fwd: [District Dispatch] Setting the Record Straight: Stimulus Includes Libraries

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 13:22:59 PST 2009

 Setting the Record Straight: Stimulus Includes Libraries
<http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?p=1516> January 16th, 2009 |
Category: Funding <http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?cat=13>,
OGR<http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?cat=17>

Currently, there is a letter circulating by Jeffrey Scherer, board chair for
Libraries for the Future in New York and architect at Meyer Scherer &
Rockcastle in Minneapolis, who claims the American Recovery and Reinvestment
Act of 2009 does not contain funding for libraries.

Mr. Scherer, though good-intentioned, has misunderstood and misrepresented
the bill. We wish to set the record straight before more confusion ensues.

Mr. Scherer wrote that, "While it includes roads and bridges to drive across
our communities, it must include our intellectual bridges, the public
library." Libraries are, in fact, included as a qualifying institution for
the K-12 Repair and Modernization funding and the Higher Education Repair
and Modernization funding.

Additionally, libraries can benefit from several other programs that benefit
from stimulus funding in the legislation, including the Rural Community
Facilities Program.

Mr. Scherer is correct that libraries should benefit from the funds included
to modernize federal and other public infrastructure, and it is our job as
librarians and library supporters to inform Congress and our governors of
this fact.

Click here <http://appropriations.house.gov/pdf/RecoveryBill01-15-09.pdf>to
view the full text of the House version of the American Recovery and
Reinvestment Act of 2009. Click here
<http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/ala-stimulus-funding-summary2.pdf>to
read the ALA summary of programs included in the House version of the
stimulus that can benefit libraries.

We will continue to update the District Dispatch as we move forward in this
process moves forward.

Emily Sheketoff, Executive Director
ALA Washington Office
esheketoff at alawash.org
  No comments yet. Be the first. Leave a reply

You must be logged
in<http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/wp-login.php?redirect_to=http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?p=1516>to
post a comment.

   - 1 <http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?p=1516>
   - ...
   - ...
   - 0 <http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?p=1516>

   District Dispatch

   - Home <http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch>
   - About <http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?page_id=276>
   - Subscribe by Email or
RSS<http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?page_id=277>
   - National Library Legislative Day
2009<http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?page_id=1159>
   - Legislative Action Center (LAC) <http://capwiz.com/ala/home/>

Search this site
 Recent Entries

   - 01.16Setting the Record Straight: Stimulus Includes
Libraries<http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?p=1516>
   - 01.16Library of Congress Makes Mark in Nationwide Digitization
Endeavor<http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?p=1453>
   - 01.16IMLS Accepting Applications for Native American/Native Hawaiian
   Museum Services Grants <http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?p=1483>
   - 01.16Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act
Update<http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?p=1470>

 Archive by Month

    Select Month January 2009  (17) December 2008  (9) November 2008
(14) October
   2008  (13) September 2008  (17) August 2008  (15) July 2008  (24) June
   2008  (10) May 2008  (19) April 2008  (26) March 2008  (25) February 2008
    (26) January 2008  (21) December 2007  (27) November 2007  (20) October
   2007  (22) September 2007  (27) August 2007  (17) July 2007  (11) June
   2007  (17) May 2007  (23) April 2007  (26) March 2007  (28) February 2007
    (24) January 2007  (16) December 2006  (19) November 2006  (8) October
   2006  (12) September 2006  (3)

 Categories

   - ALAWON <http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?cat=1>
   - Civil Liberties, Intellectual Freedom, and
Privacy<http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?cat=10>
   - Copyright <http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?cat=9>
   - Early Childhood <http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?cat=18>
   - EPA Library Closings <http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?cat=16>
   - Events <http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?cat=7>
   - Funding <http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?cat=13>
   - Government Information <http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?cat=3>
   - Government Information <http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?cat=8>
   - Grants <http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?cat=6>
   - Grassroots Lobbying <http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?cat=20>
   - Higher Education <http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?cat=12>
   - I Love Libraries <http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?cat=19>
   - Internet Safety <http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?cat=22>
   - OGR <http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?cat=17>
   - OITP <http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?cat=5>
   - Other <http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?cat=4>
   - Podcasts <http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?cat=15>
   - School Libraries <http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?cat=11>
   - Technology, the Internet, and
Telecommunications<http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?cat=14>

 ALA on Flickr

    www.*flickr*.com <http://www.flickr.com>   [image: ALA Washington
   Office's photos] <http://www.flickr.com/photos/alawash/> More of ALA
   Washington Office's photos <http://www.flickr.com/photos/alawash/>

 (c) 2006-2009 American Library Association
Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United
States License <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/us/>.
[image: Creative Commons
License]<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/us/>
  Podcast Powered by *podPress (v8.8)* <http://www.mightyseek.com/podpress/>