[Libs-Or] ALA Update on Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act

Jim Scheppke jim.b.scheppke at state.or.us
Thu Jan 22 16:37:13 PST 2009

Dear Colleagues:
I know many of you are concerned about the CPSIA issue, so I thought I would
share the latest news from ALA that was released today:

³A public meeting was held today with Kristina Hatlelid, Directorate for
Health Sciences, and other Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) staff
to allow Allan Robert Adler, of the Association of American Publishers, and
major publishing companies to discuss the lead content of books.  The
meeting was a time for the publishing companies to explain their research to
the CPSC staff that proves that normal books (non-play, paper books) do not
contain lead in the amount specified under the CPSIA.  The publishing
companies have compiled a group of 300 test results that can be viewed here.

After the meeting, Cheryl Falvey, General Counsel for the CPSC, stated that
a decision should be made by the first week of February.  She advised
libraries not to take any action at this time, and we [ALA] are hopeful that
the Commission¹s decision will exempt libraries.²

To see the entire update go to:

http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?p=1567

Jim Scheppke, State Librarian
Oregon State Library