[Libs-Or] [Fwd: [APACOUN ] Next Step for Pay Equity]

Suzanne Sager bvss at pdx.edu
Sat Jan 24 05:58:36 PST 2009

FYI

Suzanne Sager
ALA Oregon Chapter Councilor

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[APACOUN ] Next Step for Pay Equity
Date: 	Sat, 24 Jan 2009 07:15:58 -0500
From: 	Jenifer Grady <jgrady at ala.org>
To: 	<apacoun at ala-apa.org>, <moneytalks at ala-apa.org>,
<apa-union at ala-apa.org>, <member-forum at ala.org>

[Great news!  The US Senate passed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act
(S.181) on Thursday, January 22!  It will be reconciled with the version
passed by the US House and perhaps be the first law signed by President
Obama.  However, the Paycheck Fairness Act
(S.182-http://www.pay-equity.org/PDFs/PaycheckFairnessFactSheetJuly2008.pdf)
has not been passed, though it is on the Senate calendar.  Please
contact your Senators and encourage them to pass the Paycheck Fairness
Act also.]

President-Elect Obama is ready to sign both the Paycheck Fairness Act
and the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act into law during his first few days
in office. But before that can happen, the Senate needs to pass pay
equity legislation, too.

*Please contact your Senators now and tell them that women can't wait!*
Our economy is crumbling, and we need fair pay legislation now more than
ever.

You can contact your Senator <http://www.senate.gov/>, or call the
Capitol switchboard at (202) 224-3121. Ask the operator to connect you
to your Senators. When you're connected to their offices, tell the
person who answers the phone:

   1. I am a constituent. My name is ____________.
   2. I urge you to vote in favor of the Paycheck Fairness Act, to
      invoke cloture on the bill, and to oppose any weakening amendments.
   3. Thank you for supporting fair pay for women and for your support
      of the newly passed Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act.

Michele Leber, Chair
National Committee on Pay Equity
c/o AFT
555 New Jersey Ave., NW