[Libs-Or] Gamers and Info Literacy

Roberta Richards rrichard at pcc.edu
Mon Jan 26 12:12:22 PST 2009

Teaching information literacy to a generation of gamers

Friday, Feb. 27, 2009, 1:00 p.m.- 4:00 p.m.
Portland Community College, Cascade Campus
TEB (Technology Education Building), Room 215
705 N. Killingsworth Street
Portland, OR 97217
For directions and parking information, see
http://www.pcc.edu/about/locations/cascade/

Workshop description:
Video games are as important to contemporary teens and young adults as
television and the radio were for their predecessors. In three parts, this
training will explore how video games affect the ways that students access
and interact with information.

.         Video games as medium:  First, we will examine how games
communicate with and teach their players.

.         Gamers and info literacy: Second, we will discuss some key
learning principles encountered by gamers and link these with practical
classroom techniques for information literacy instructors. This part of the
presentation will include guided discussions and sharing of the classroom
experiences of the attendees.

.         Hands-on learning:  Third, attendees will have the opportunity to
experience teaching and learning with video games first hand, using the
popular game Portal.

This training is presented by information literacy instructors who work in
academic libraries and most of our examples and scenarios are drawn from our
personal experience in the classroom (and in the games.) However, we predict
that most librarians who are curious about teaching, learning, and the
current generation of gamers will find applications and connections to their
professional practice. Please come and bring your curiosity and experiences
with you to share!

Presenters:
Nicholas Schiller and Carole Svensson are frequent collaborators and
co-authors of work on the connections between video games and library
instruction. They presented together at the 2008 Lita Forum and co-authored
a chapter in the forthcoming Neal Schuman title : Teaching Gen M : A
Handbook for Librarians and Educators.  In March, together with Serin
Anderson, they will be presenting their research on games and learning at
the 2009 ACRL conference.

Nicholas is the library instruction coordinator at WSU Vancouver. Carole is
the A ssistant Library Director at UW Tacoma, and Serin is the Budget &
Collection Resources Librarian at UW Tacoma.

Cost:
Student/retiree rate: $30.00
Regular rate: $40.00

Registration:
Register at http://www.portals.org

Roberta Richards, MLS

Library CE Outreach, Reference Librarian
SY LIB 202, Portland Community College
PO Box 19000
Portland, OR 97280-0990
rrichard at pcc.edu