[Libs-Or] [Fwd: [alacro-l] Service Initiative]

Suzanne Sager bvss at pdx.edu
Fri Jun 12 08:08:23 PDT 2009

FYI,

Suzanne L. Sager
Oregon ALA Chapter Councilor

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[alacro-l] Service Initiative
Date: 	Fri, 12 Jun 2009 10:55:01 -0400
From: 	Michael Dowling <mdowling at ala.org>
To: 	ALACRO-L <alacro-l at ala.org>

To Chapters:

Those of you who are ALA members should have received the following
email from Keith Michael Fiels on Wednesday about the planned service
initiative that President Obama is scheduled to announce next week to
partners such as ALA, with a public announcement on June 22.

_______________________

(From Keith)

Last week, I wrote to let you know that the American Library Association
is working with the White House, in partnership with the Corporation for
National & Community Service, to get libraries involved in a national
volunteer initiative that will run from June 22 to September 11, 2009.

By early next week, an announcement will come from the White House
asking partners, including libraries, to post their local volunteer
opportunities online. Since the initiative will then officially launch
on June 22, you'll want to have any information on volunteer
opportunities at your library ready to go in anticipation of this quick
turnaround. We recognize that this doesn't give you much time, but we
hope you will consider being a part of this important initiative.

Please visit www.ala.org/summerofservice
<http://www.ala.org/summerofservice> to find a one page fact sheet on
the initiative from the Corporation for National & Community Service.

Volunteer opportunities can be posted right now by visiting
www.serve.gov <http://www.serve.gov>, and I encourage you to do that as
soon as you are able.

The ALA will keep you informed as this initiative progresses, and the
next time you hear from us will be after President Obama has announced
it publicly. The ALA will also be providing tips and resources for
volunteer ideas, best practices, and ways to contribute your own
information, ideas and stories, all of which you can access at
www.ala.org/summerofservice <http://www.ala.org/summerofservice>.

Prior to the public launch of the service initiative, the Corporation
for National & Community Service is looking for volunteer opportunities
that will take place on June 22nd to use as potential examples. If you
do have such a volunteer opportunity going on in your library, we
encourage you to fill out the form posted at www.ala.org/summerofservice
<http://www.ala.org/summerofservice> and send it back to library at ala.org
<mailto:library at ala.org> no later than June 17.

Thank you so much for all that you do to ensure your community has
access to great library services and resources!

Sincerely,

Keith Michael Fiels

Executive Director

American Library Association