[Libs-Or] Open Government and Privacy in the Obama Administration

Roberta Richards rrichard at pcc.edu
Mon Mar 2 20:04:59 PST 2009

Open Government and Privacy in the Obama Administration

Wednesday, April 1 , 3:00 p.m.- 4:30 p.m.

Central Library, U.S. Bank Room

Multnomah County Library

801 S.W. 10th Avenue, Portland

Presentation description:

Key elements of our democracy -- the right of access to government
information and the right to privacy from government access to our personal
information -- were eroded during the Bush administration.  Can these rights
be restored by the Obama administration?  What measures are necessary to
restore open government and privacy?

Come to this presentation by Dr. Patrice McDermott and Candace Morgan for an
update on key issues about our government and access to information.  This
presentation will address:

.             The state of open government and privacy coming out of the
Bush years

.             Access to federal government records and documents

.             PATRIOT Act and other surveillance issues

.             1st Amendment issues

.             Opportunities to improve openness and privacy in the Obama
administration

.             The role of libraries, the media, and the public in restoring
privacy and open government

Presenters:

Dr. Patrice McDermott is director of OpenTheGovernment.org in Washington,
D.C., and author of Who Needs to Know?  The State of Public Access to
Federal Government Information.  Dr. McDermott will also be speaking on
April 2nd at the Oregon Library Association conference is Salem, but if you
can't attend her presentation be then, be sure to take advantage of this
Portland talk.

Candace Morgan is a local and national leader on library intellectual
freedom and civil liberties issues.  The retired Associate Director of Fort
Vancouver Regional Library, Candace currently teaches intellectual freedom
for the Emporia State University School of Library and Information
Management Oregon Cohort, edits the ALA Intellectual Freedom Manual, and
serves on the boards for ACLU-Oregon and the ALA Committee on Professional
Ethics.

The presentation is available at no cost, but registration is required.
Register at http://www.portals.org

Thanks to OpenTheGovernment.org, Multnomah County Library, and Portland
Community College Library for their support of this event.

Roberta Richards, Library CE Outreach
SY LIB 202, Portland Community College
PO Box 19000
Portland, OR 97280-0990