[Libs-Or] WRITERS-REPORTERS NEEDED

GINNANE Mary J mary.j.ginnane at ci.eugene.or.us
Fri Mar 20 18:50:16 PDT 2009

Hello,
Another OLA Quarterly is being planned this week. Besides the Winter, 2009 issue on school and public library cooperation, the President's Conference Issue (Summer, 2009) is in development. I am seeking writers and reporters on the conference theme of "Oregon Reads: One State, Many Stories." This can be broken up into Oregon Reads AND One State, Many Stories. With the conference less than two weeks away I thought there'd be a rich mine of stories generated there. Some ideas:

1. the conference experience of various categories of library staff (paraprofessional, new professional, seasoned professional, retired librarian, board member, school, public, academic, special); could be written in blog format
2. a presenter edits their presentation or showcase for publication
3. an attendee interviews a presenter/speaker/author for more in-depth perspective on their subject
4. a vendor's conference experience
5. the story of why someone is not at the conference--and what happens in the library when others are gone
6. your library's experience with Oregon Reads
7. your library's experience with a library reading promotion or other community reading project

I'd also like to include sidebars with shorter stories about "why/how you became a librarian or came to work in a library"; or "the story of a meaningful library interaction you've had which is emblematic of the profession's ideals"; or professional literature/websites you've been reading/viewing that you'd like others in the profession to know about.

The due date for the finished articles is May 15, 2009.

Thanks for considering this request. I hope you are intrigued to help create a story filled issue! Let me know what type of article/reporting you are thinking of.

Mary Ginnane
OLA President
Editor, OLA Quarterly, Summer, 2009