[Libs-Or] Sign-on letter update

Peyton Stafford peyton at peytonstafford.com
Tue May 12 16:42:22 PDT 2009

Here is some info I got from ALA (I'm a member of the vendor group that
lobbies for libraries). Ron Wyden has already signed, but Jeff Merkley
hasn't. I called Merkley's office and gave his staffer an earful about how
important LSTA is to library funding, especially with state budgets being
hit so hard.

Here are the phone numbers for Merkley's offices. I hope people will call
and let him know how important this funding is and that he needs to sign
this letter. It just takes a minute to make the call.

--Peyton Stafford

Bend (541) 318-1298

Eugene (541) 465-6750

Medford (541) 608-9102

Portland (503) 326-3386

Salem (503) 362-8102

DC (202) 224-3753

The deadline has been extended to May 14, 2009 for the “Dear Colleague”
letter being circulated by Senators Jack Reed (D-RI) and Olympia Snowe
(R-ME) in support of funding for the Library Services and Technology Act
(LSTA) and the Improving Literacy Through School Libraries Program.

As of Friday May 1, we only have 13 signatures on the letter. Last year we
had 47 signatures. This is a tough budget year. After passing the stimulus
package, only a select few programs will receive an increase in FY 2010.
LSTA and the Improving Literacy Through School Libraries Program are in
serious danger of receiving level funding, or possibly even a cuts, if we
don't have 60 signatures on the letter. Please contact your Senator NOW!

 Many of last year’s signatories are no longer in the Senate.  This is a
very easy ask, if they won’t do this, they really aren’t supporting
libraries.

The letter is addressed to the Senate Labor, Health and Human Services and
Education Appropriation Subcommittees and requests that the Senate include
$300 million for the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) and $100
million for the Improving Literary Through School Libraries program for FY
2010.

*When you contact your Senators, you must ask him or her to call Andrew
Odgren with Senator Reed at 202-224-4642 or Mathew Hussey with Senator Snowe
at 202-224-5344. *

FY 2010 (13)

Reed

Snowe