[Libs-Or] News: First meeting of OCLC Americas Regional Council

John Helmer jhelmer at uoregon.edu
Fri Nov 6 10:38:34 PST 2009

Colleagues,

OCLC is in the early stages of a brand new way of communicating with and
being governed by its member libraries.  It is a truly new global model
and we are all now part of the Americas Region represented by delegates
from across North and South America.  We are fortunate to have three in
Oregon and Washington: Susan Barnes Whyte at Linfield College, Pat
French at Multnomah County Library, and me.

Mark your Calendar:
The Americas Regional Council is having its first meeting at ALA
Midwinter, January 15, 2010, 8:30 -- 11:30 am.  More on that below or at
http://whatcounts.com/dm?id=39F87F090F00B0CB2AB10A6448547399D7E1CC818E7927B7

This is all very new and much about how the Americas Regional Council
will operate remains to be determined. If you are at ALA and can attend,
please come to learn more and provide feedback about all aspects of
OCLC.  If you can't make it, I know the ARC is working on other ways to
seek membership involvement.  Also know that Susan, Pat, and I are
always interested in hearing from you.  It is our job as delegates to
carry your input forward.

Even though it is big, OCLC is a membership organization so please stay
involved and keep the cooperative in touch with its membership.

Hope to see you at ALA.

Best wishes.
John F. Helmer
Executive Director
Orbis Cascade Alliance

jhelmer at uoregon.edu
v: 541.346.1835 | f: 541.346.1968
1299 Univ. of Oregon, Eugene, Or. 97403-1299
www.orbiscascade.org | summit.orbiscascade.org