[Libs-Or] Free early literacy training in Coos and Curry counties

Katie Anderson anderson_katie at oslmac.osl.state.or.us
Mon Nov 9 15:35:34 PST 2009

Attention children's library staff who work at public libraries in Coos and Curry Counties.

Reading for Healthy Families (RFHF) early literacy training is being offered to children's library staff who work in Coos and Curry counties at Coos Bay Public Library December 1-2.  The application is attached, however attachments often don't work via listservs so I've also included it at the bottom of this email.  RFHF is a statewide project, if you don't work in Coos or Curry County please check the training schedule to find out when training was or will be available in your county: http://tiny.cc/j35bg.

RFHF participants commit to attending 2 two-day trainings, the first will be in December and the second will be in March.  At the first training participants receive intensive training in Every Child Ready to Read and a resource kits containing the curriculum, 4 early literacy DVDs, 4 early literacy/storytime planning books, travel flannel board and stories, finger puppets, nursery rhyme CD, nursery rhyme booklet, 4 storytime books, and 15 giveaway books.  Between the 2 two-day trainings, participants commit to providing early literacy education to 5 families.  At the second training, participants get a review in Every Child Ready to Read, and additional training in related topics such as bilingual language development, media literacy, and working with children with special needs such as autism.  After the second training, participants commit to providing early literacy education to 10 more families.

RFHF is not only a training in the early literacy curriculum Every Child Ready to Read @ your library, it is a commitment to providing early literacy education to families in your local community.  Each participating library and Healthy Start program will receive $200 for outreach to either bring Healthy Start families to the library, or bring library staff out to the families.  RFHF trainings are localized to provide libraries and Healthy Start programs in the same community an opportunity to get to know each other better, learn more about the services each organization provides for local families, and to start developing partnerships to provide early literacy activities in your own community.

For more information please visit the website (http://www.oregon.gov/OSL/LD/youthsvcs/rfhf.home.page.shtml) or contact Joann Contini, RFHF Project Coordinator at 503-761-2506 or  joanncontini at comcast.net.

katie.anderson at state.or.us, 503-378-2528

You must submit an application as there may be limited training spaces available.

You can complete one application for multiple staff members from one worksite or program. There is room on the application for the names of five staff members. Please add an additional page if there are more than five staff members applying.

Please Check One:
q Healthy Start Family Support Worker(s)

OR

q Children's Library Staff

Place of Employment:

Work Address:

(Street Address )

(City)

(State)

(Zip Code)

 (County)

Please check the boxes below to indicate your commitment.

q     Yes, we want to bring the benefits of the RFHF project to our community.

q     Yes, we are willing and able to attend both of the two-day training sessions
            on the dates indicated.

q     Yes, we will invite our supervisors to attend the afternoon sessions on the second day of the second training session

q     Yes, we are willing to provide early literacy education, support and resources to at least 15 families in our community within one year of completing the first training.

q  Yes, my/our supervisor has been informed of the RFHF program and has     approved of our application.

Name and Title of  Supervisor:

Supervisor Work Phone:

 Supervisor Work E-mail:

1. Participant Name:Position/Title:
Work Phone: Work E-mail:
2. Participant Name:Position/Title:
Work Phone: Work E-mail:
3. Participant Name:Position/Title:
Work Phone: Work E-mail:
4. Participant Name:Position/Title:
Work Phone: Work E-mail:
5. Participant Name:Position/Title:
Work Phone: Work E-mail:

You have the opportunity to serve as a regional Site Coordinator and receive a stipend of $450 at the end of the second training to cover coordination, networking and travel expenses. Two Site Coordinators will be selected for each Cohort: one will represent Healthy Start, and one will represent the library staff.

Site Coordinators for each Cohort will support networking and communication for the RFHF Participants and will facilitate networking segments of RFHF Training Sessions One and Two. Site Coordinators will provide local logistical recommendations and on-site logistical support to the RFHF Project Coordinator for the two training sessions.

q     Yes, I am/we are interested in being considered as a regional site coordinator.
Please, fill in your name(s):

Tell us briefly about any early literacy partnerships your program may already have in place with either a library or a Healthy Start program.

Tell us briefly about any early literacy training you have attended or presented in the past two years.

Thank you. Please return this completed application form via e-mail to: joanncontini at comcast.net

If you have any questions please contact: Joann Contini, RFHF Project Coordinator at
503-761-2506 or  joanncontini at comcast.net