[Libs-Or] More about the Gale Virtual Reference Library

Jennifer Maurer maurer_jennifer at oslmac.osl.state.or.us
Mon Nov 16 16:03:39 PST 2009

Hi,

This is a follow-up to the email I sent this morning in which I announced the additional titles now available in the Gale Virtual Reference Library.

Social Issue Primary Sources Collection
The title called Social Issues Primary Sources Collection is not listed in GVRL by that name.  Instead, its 10 volumes are listed individually:  Crime and Punishment; Environmental Issues; Family in Society; Gender Issues and Sexuality; Government, Politics, and Protest; Human and Civil Rights; Immigration and Multiculturalism; Medicine, Bioethics, and Health; Social Policy; and Terrorism.

Credits
Some of you asked if you would receive a credit if you are already have one of the e-books now available though the statewide contract.  The short answer is no.  Contact me if you want more information about why.  However, if you already subscribe to a database that is now available through the statewide contract, contact your Gale sales rep about a possible credit.
Public and tribal libraries: jeff.jensen at cengage.com
            Academic libraries:  rob.hoyer at cengage.com

Tips for Accessing and Using GVRL
If you do not have a specific link to GVRL on your library webpage, you can find the database by scrolling through the menu of choices that comes up when you click on PowerSearch.  Or, once you are in most any Gale database, click on Change Databases at the top and then scroll through the list of choices.

Once you are in the GVRL database, you can use the search box at the top to search all of the titles at one time, or you can click on Show All to see a list of all the titles.  If you chose the latter, then click on the name of one of the books that interests you.  That opens to a page with general information about the e-book.  At the top, you can browse the table of contents, index, and a list of the illustrations.  Explore the e-book by clicking on the links within those three sections, or search for something in that specific title by using the yellow search box towards the left.

Combining Your E-Books with Those Available Through the Statewide Contract
Gale can arrange it so that when your patrons/students click on the GVRL database link, it displays the titles purchased by your library and those available through the statewide contract.  To set up that feature, contact Gale at Gale.Consortium.Installs at cengage.com.  Please do not use the generic tech support email or phone number for this request.

MARC Records
Soon MARC records for each of the GVRL titles will be available on the Gale support site for Oregon, http://galesupport.com/oregon/.  Then if you want, you can download the records to your library's catalog.  I'll announce when that option is ready.

GVRL Webinar on Thursday, December 3rd
If you want interactive instruction on how to use the Gale Virtual Reference Library, Gale is offering a webinar at 3pm ET (= noon our time) on Thursday, 12/3.  This is one of Gale's regularly scheduled webinars so it is not specific to Oregon.  The session is an hour long, is free, and allows you to ask questions, but you must register for it ahead of time.  To do that, go to http://www.attendeenet.com/gale/ and click on the session that interests you.  Then click on Register Online Now.

Self-Study Options
If you are more into self-study, you can view this webcast to learn more about GVRL.  Note that it takes several minutes to load.
http://www.gale.cengage.com/media/training/GVRL/GVRL1/GVRL.htm

Or, read through a navigation guide.
http://www.gale.cengage.com/pdf/navguide/gvrl_nvg_v2.pdf.

I found the above resources by clicking on Training Materials in the blue box to the right on Gale's support site.
http://support.gale.com/gale/index.html.

As always, feel free to contact me if you have questions or run into problems.

Thanks,
Jen

Jennifer Maurer
School Library Consultant