[Libs-Or] Programming ideas needed for adult SRP by Nov. 23

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Thu Sep 3 08:46:32 PDT 2009

Programming ideas needed for the 2011 adult summer reading program manual!
Deadline: November 23, 2009

The national Collaborative Summer Library Program (CSLP) that develops the summer reading program for children and teens recently began developing an adult summer reading program.  The 2009 Summer Reading Program Manual was the first to contain a chapter on adult summer reading programs, and Upstart/Highsmith included a small selection of adult incentives in their catalog.  The 2010 Summer Reading Program Manual will also contain an adult summer reading chapter.  It will be distributed to children's and teen librarians at Oregon public, tribal, and volunteer libraries in November.  Please ask your children's and teen librarians about it!

Today I am writing to solicit programming ideas for the adult chapter of the 2011 Summer Reading Program Manual.  Please email your ideas to me by November 23, 2009.  I will compile a list of ideas from Oregon, and send it to the chair of CSLP's adult summer reading manual committee.  The committee will review the programming ideas they receive from the 48 member states and 2 member US territories, and select those that will appear in the 2011 Summer Reading Program Manual.  Below is a description of what they are specifically looking for.

In reviewing the description, I noticed that something seems to be missing.  They do not seem to be asking for programming ideas that will engage English language learners and recent immigrants.  Not only should we think about how to engage this population in summer reading activities, they may be the key to developing rich programs around the 2011 theme of world culture and travel.  Although it is not listed below, I encourage you to send ideas for engaging ELL and recent immigrants in the adult summer reading program.  On that note, send all your great ideas even if they aren't specifically requested in the description.

Thank you,
Katie

katie.anderson at state.or.us, 503-378-2528

What: Call for Programming Ideas
When: Due November 23, 2009
For: 2011 CSLP Adult Summer Library Program Manual
Theme: World Culture and Travel
Slogan: Novel Destinations

Below you'll find some of the ideas suggested for the 2011 Adult Manual on the theme, "Novel Destinations."  The overall theme for 2011 is Global/World Cultures/Travel.  The Children's slogan is "One World-Many Stories, the Teen's slogan is "You Are Here."

I am especially interested in your ideas for:
Underserved populations such as seniors, assisted living and nursing home residents
Setting the Scene: library decorations, bulletin boards, props, etc.
Family literacy and family programs

If your library has presented any successful programs that fit this theme, please tell me about them.  If you think of any other programs, decorations, activities, send them in!  Thanks!

Send your ideas to:
Katie Anderson
katie.anderson at state.or.us

World Cultures
Food/recipe database
Work with ethnic restaurants - discount with library card, or coupons, or cooking club, or prize for summer reading
Cultural dance workshop/yoga
Teach courtesy phrases in other languages
Humanities council Speakers
Kites, 1000 paper cranes, flags, money from other places
Foreign Film Festival
Mysteries set in other Countries
Lecture(s) world issues: Iraq, Iran, Palestine, Refugees

Adult Education
Education fair for adults
AARP
Saving,
e-libraries
How to Put (vacation) photos on Flickr
Vacation Scrapbooking
Travel
Travel agent travel club members
Travelogues
Frommer's Display contest (check website)
Invite a travel agent
Bookstore:  travel books, travel literature
Travel Tools: GPS, Atlases, Guide Books, Intrepid Traveler: packing light! Might be fun to have two suitcases-before and after packing light. Light, lighter, lightest contest?
Transferring slides to disc? Process.

Miscellaneous:
Book Clubs - encourage communities to choose a book -novel destinations-interesting settings
Worldwide Knit in Public Day  (June)
Genealogy @ family history

Passive Program idea:  trivia, mystery photo, setting of books quiz

Elderly in nursing homes, senior centers:
large print travel books, books on tape?
Presentation on Immigrants to area, or contributions of immigrants to U.S.-Historical Society??

Other underserved populations

Family Literacy Programs