[Libs-Or] H1N1 precautions

Su Ikeda opalsu at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 11:24:33 PDT 2009

Leah, Jill, and others,

Our list is very similar to yours (I attended the summit too). In addition,
we'll be considering the following procedures that would be implemented if
there were a severe outbreak in the area:

1. Signs posted on the doors explaining that patrons may be asked to leave
if they are exhibiting flu symptoms (I've ordered disposable thermometers to
for temperature checks--not infallible since people can take fever reducers,
of course). We have a big problem with parents sending kids to the library
when they're sick and we're hoping this might give us a way to cope with
that problem.

2. We may hold returned books for a day before reshelving them. I've read
that the virus can survive 4-8 hours on a surface and this would be a way to
keep the virus from being transfered from the books--probably not a big
risk, but it might be comforting to the patrons. After all, lots of people
who are sick at home will have time for reading.

3. We are also working hard to recruit more volunteers and to train
potential paid substitutes (something we've never had) in case of
significant paid staff and volunteer absences.

4. Beyond that... education, education, education!

~Su

--
Su Ikeda
Library Director