[Libs-Or] ALA: JUSTICE Act would amend PATRIOT Act provisions eroding patron privacy

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 13:41:49 PDT 2009

ALA: JUSTICE Act would amend PATRIOT Act provisions eroding patron privacy
<http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?p=3673> September 17th, 2009 |
Category: Civil Liberties, Intellectual Freedom, and
Privacy<http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?cat=10>,
OGR <http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?cat=17>

Contact: Jenni Terry <jterry at alawash.org>

For Immediate Release
September 17, 2009

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The American Library Association (ALA) applauds the
sponsors of the “Judiciously Using Surveillance Tools in Counterterrorism
Efforts” (JUSTICE) Act, which was introduced in the Senate today and would
reform the USA PATRIOT Act, the FISA Amendments Act and other surveillance
authorities to safeguard the constitutional rights of Americans while also
ensuring the federal government has the necessary tools to fight terrorism.

“Three key sections of the PATRIOT Act are set to expire at the end of the
year, and we are pleased to see Sens. Feingold and Durbin as well as Sens.
Tester, Udall, Bingaman, Sanders, Akaka and Wyden take this opportunity to
conduct a comprehensive review of these surveillance tools,” ALA President
Camila Alire said.

“We believe that our nation must return to the rule of law, and we welcome
this legislation, which addresses provisions of the PATRIOT Act that we
believe erode the public’s civil liberties. This bill would restore the
balance between the needs of law enforcement and our privacy rights.”

The JUSTICE Act would reauthorize Section 215 of the PATRIOT Act, often
referred to as the “library provision,” but with additional checks and
balances. The bill would permit the government to obtain an order for
records if they have reason to believe a specific individual has some
connection to terrorism while also allowing the target of the investigation
to challenge the use of the records. The bill would also provide judicial
review of Section 215 orders.

Additionally, the JUSTICE Act would address problems with national security
letters and increase judicial review and public reporting on these
surveillance tools.

“We appreciate the sponsors of this bill for their efforts to correct what
has been a long-standing issue for America’s libraries and our mission to
protect patron privacy and other civil liberties,” Alire said.

http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?p=3673

--
Diedre Conkling
Lincoln County Library District