[Libs-Or] Botswana, marimba, clouds and rain

D Cohen dcohen at dcoheninfo.com
Thu Apr 22 10:27:38 PDT 2010

Hello all,

I have just read in the Portland Tribune about Mhembero, a celebration of 17
Portland-area youth marimba bands happening on Saturday.
http://buckmanmarimba.com/zim.htm

For fans of Alexander McCall Smith's No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency book series there
is a special treat. An appearance by the world famous Maru-a-pula [meaning "clouds
and rain" in Setswana] School Marimba Band. Maru-a-pula School is in the capital of
Botswana, Gaborone. I'm quite sure it was mentioned in one of McCall Smith's books.

Band U.S. tour page:
http://maruapula.org/marimba/marimba-band-to-tour-united-states-in-april-2010
Maru-a-Pula School
http://maruapula.org/

Here is a wonderful video clip from CBS news about there 2008 tour.
http://maruapula.org/marimba/maru-a-pula-marimba-2008-tour

Tribune article:
http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/story.php?story_id=127188336414296400

The group is also playing on Sunday at Multnomah Arts Center.

I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Botswana '92-'96 as a teacher trainer. And, I went
to a basketball game at Maru-a-Pula. :-)

Donna

Donna L. Cohen, MLIS, MEd, Information Management Consultant
D. L. Cohen Information Services
Portland, Oregon
503-737-1425
dcohen at dcoheninfo.com
www.dcoheninfo.com
Managing your organization's information and knowledge. Information is power...if
you can find it!