[Libs-Or] How Search Engines Have Changed the Way We Consume Information

Emily Ford fordem at ohsu.edu
Tue Apr 27 14:10:16 PDT 2010

*Please excuse cross-postings*
The subject line of this e-mail is the title for Vanessa Fox’s keynote address to be given Friday, May 7th at the 2010 Oregon Virtual Reference Summit!

“How Search Engines Have Changed the Way We Consume Information
In the last 15 years, we've experienced a great behavioral shift in the ways we consume information. This shift has caused significant disruption for traditional content delivery, such as newspapers, television, and libraries. But the good news is that this shift has caused us to place even more value on content. But as information becomes more accessible, we are missing key curation tools to help us evaluate it. How can those in libraries use knowledge about searcher behavior to better engage with their audiences? How can libraries, as a key medium for delivering information, adapt with changing audience behavior? And how did Buffy the Vampire Slayer indisputably prove to society the true multifaceted value of librarians?”

Read more about Vanessa Fox on the Summit site: www.oregonlibraries.net/summit/2010/speakers/<http://www.oregonlibraries.net/summit/2010/speakers/> or at Vanessa’s web site: www.ninebyblue.com<http://www.ninebyblue.com>

To come hear this exciting keynote speaker and engage in participatory learning sessions please register for the Summit before the *May 1st* deadline.

Register here: www.oregonlibraries.net/summit/2010/register<http://www.oregonlibraries.net/summit/2010/register>

You can always find us on Facebook bit.ly/a2xxfp<http://bit.ly/a2xxfp> or Twitter www.twitter.com/lnetoregon<http://www.twitter.com/lnetoregon>.

Best,
The Summit Planning Team
Emily Ford, MLS & MIS
Reference Librarian
Instruction, Research & Outreach
Oregon Health & Science University Library
3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Rd.
Portland, OR 97239
E-mail: fordem at ohsu.edu
Phone: 503-494-3915