[Libs-Or] May 2010 Oregon Health Go Local E-Newsletter

Emily Ford fordem at ohsu.edu
Thu Apr 29 13:24:47 PDT 2010

*Please excuse cross-postings!*

Oregon Health Go Local E-Newsletter

May 2010

In this Newsletter:
•       Phasing Out Oregon Health Go Local
•       Thank You
•       Consumer Health Information Services from the OHSU Library
•       Article about Oregon Health Go Local to be published in Journal of Consumer Health on the Internet
•       Volunteer Accomplishments
•       Staffing Announcements

Phasing Out Oregon Health Go Local
As you know, the National Library of Medicine has decided to phase out all MedlinePlus Go Local projects, including Oregon’s. You can read more about this decision here<http://www.nlm.nih.gov/pubs/techbull/ma10/ma10_go_local_discontinue.html>. While the decision was a hard one for the NLM to make, OHSU fully supports the NLM in this decision. The Oregon Health Go Local web page will be removed from the web on June 3rd, 2010.

Although OHSU cannot support and sustain Oregon Health Go Local without the NLM’s help, OHSU can provide some tools to assist the public in finding health services. To this end, we have created a Health Services in Oregon<http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/library/research-assistance/consumer-health/health-services.cfm> page within the OHSU Library’s Consumer Health Information<http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/library/research-assistance/consumer-health/index.cfm> portal. This page lists resources such as directories, information and referral services, and licensing boards for health agencies in the state. Please replace your bookmarks for Oregon Health Go Local with the following URL. http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/library/research-assistance/consumer-health/health-services.cfm

We had a good run, and we’re excited to continue serving Oregon by providing this information.

Thank You
“Silent gratitude isn’t very much to anyone.” Gertrude Stein
We’ve said it many times but we’d like to say it again: Oregon Health Go Local could not have existed and thrived without the support and assistance of many individuals and organizations. Pivotal in the success of Oregon Health Go Local were volunteers who assisted in inputting and editing data, our partners at the National Library of Medicine who provided expertise and support, the University of Washington’s Regional Medical Library and the Oregon State Library, which provided grant funding and support. There are countless others who contributed to Oregon Health Go Local by donating data, helping with word-of-mouth marketing, using the resource on library web sites, and generally supporting the project. Thank you.

Consumer Health Information Services from the OHSU Library
Did you know that the OHSU Library provides help for the general Oregon public? The public can peruse our web site for consumer health information, or even ask us for help. One of Oregon Health Go Local’s dedicated volunteers, Joan Truncali, will be working to update our consumer health web pages<http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/library/research-assistance/consumer-health/index.cfm> in the coming months. To ask an OHSU librarian for health information the public may send us postal mail, e-mail, or call us. For more information please visit our Health Information by Mail page<http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/library/research-assistance/health-information-by-mail.cfm>.

Article about Oregon Health Go Local to be Published in Journal of Consumer Health on the Internet
Emily Ford, Oregon Health Go Local Project Director, and Todd Hannon, Oregon Health Go Local Principal Investigator co-authored a paper titled: Oregon Health Go Local: A Retrospective Look, forthcoming (date TBA) in the peer-reviewed Journal of Consumer Health on the Internet<http://www.informaworld.com/openurl?genre=journal&issn=1539-8285>.  The article discusses Oregon Health Go Local’s unique model of using volunteer efforts to work on the project as well as marketing and promotion, and the challenges and successes we encountered while building the resource.

Volunteer Accomplishments
Please join me in congratulating two Oregon Health Go Local volunteers. Sequoia Campshure and Mollie Good are both earning MLS degrees this summer. Sequoia will graduate from the University of Washington iSchool in June and Mollie from Emporia State University in August. Sequoia plans to stay in Portland upon graduation, and Mollie will be returning to her home state, Alaska, this May. Both Mollie and Sequoia worked to help index Oregon Health Go Local records for naturopathic physicians and chiropractic doctors.

Congratulations and good luck to you both!

Staffing Announcements
With Oregon Health Go Local phasing out, Emily Ford will be transitioning to new duties at the OHSU Library effective July 1, 2010. She will be working half-time at the OHSU Library as a Scholarly Communication Librarian. In this role she will work to promote the OHSU Library’s scholarly communication program, consult with research authors about the NIH Public Access Policy<http://publicaccess.nih.gov/>, and more.  To learn more about scholarly communication, you might find the Wikipedia article<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scholarly_communication> on the topic helpful.

Emily Ford, MLS & MIS
Reference Librarian
Instruction, Research & Outreach
Oregon Health & Science University Library
3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Rd.
Portland, OR 97239
E-mail: fordem at ohsu.edu
Phone: 503-494-3915