[Libs-Or] CSL ANNOUNCES: Online Consumer Health Toolkit

MaryKay Dahlgreen marykay.dahlgreen at state.or.us
Wed Aug 18 15:40:41 PDT 2010

I took a look at this toolkit and it looks very useful. There are some things that are California specific but there is lots more that is general. I don't know if libraries outside of California can attend the webinar but I did want to send you the link to the toolkit.
MaryKay

________________________________
The California State Library, in partnership with the National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Pacific Southwest Region (NN/LM PSR), is pleased to introduce a new online resource:

Finding Health and Wellness @ Your Library:
A Consumer Health Toolkit for Library Staff

This online Consumer Health Toolkit, with a focus on prevention and wellness, has been developed to assist public library staff in better meeting the health information needs of their communities.  Based on findings from a 2007 LSTA planning grant, the Toolkit was developed over the past year with the input and guidance of an Advisory Committee consisting of public librarians, health librarians and healthcare professionals. The Toolkit's development was supported by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian.  The Toolkit is now available at:

http://www.library.ca.gov/lds/docs/HealthToolkit.pdf

For an orientation to the Toolkit, please join us for a free introductory webinar lead by Kelli Ham from NN/LM PSR.

CONSUMER HEALTH TOOLKIT WEBINAR
DATE: Thursday, September 9, 2010
TIME: 12:00 Noon to 1:00 PM (Pacific Time)
 FOR MORE INFO: http://www.infopeople.org/training/webcasts/list

We hope we've created a resource that you will find easy to use and that provides ready access to quality health information resources.  Because the Toolkit is a "work in progress," we plan to refine the Toolkit over time based on actual experiences from its use in the field. So we invite you to watch the webinar and then use the Toolkit over the coming months.  Then in Spring 2011, we will conduct an online survey so that you can evaluate the Toolkit's effectiveness and give us your feedback.

If you have questions or comments in the interim, please don't hesitate to contact me.  Hope this proves to be a useful tool for you and your library.

Suzanne Flint
Library Programs Consultant
California State Library
Sacramento, CA