[Libs-Or] Facebook pages for libraries and library departments or groups and policies

Maureen Cole mcole at ci.oregon-city.or.us
Mon Dec 6 11:46:38 PST 2010

Hi everyone:
Our city has determined that Facebook pages constitute a public record and therefore need to be archived and controlled. Right now, to make matters easy, we are to post things on FB that only already exist on our web site. This does not allow much room for flexibility or creativity.

We are starting a Teen Advisory Board and one of the forums in which they might operate could be via a FB page of their own. The current FB guidelines from the city would not seem to mesh well with this working out for them. But the city is willing to review these guidelines for us. It would be really helpful if I could provide them with some policy examples from other cities who allow more freedom in the city and/or library facebook pages.

How does your city view these types of public interaction? Are they tightly controlled as to content and response? Do you have access to a policy which you could share?

Thanks for your help!
Mo