[Libs-Or] follow up on Facebook question

Maureen Cole mcole at ci.oregon-city.or.us
Mon Dec 13 16:12:22 PST 2010

Hi all:

A couple of weeks ago I called upon you all to help me understand how your institution has been dealing with Facebook pages. Well, I found out that we are all over the page (dare I say facebook page) on this!

Some people don't have policies at all; some people have policies so strict that there is very little freedom to use Facebook as it was intended. Obviously, institutions are just trying to protect themselves in light of public records laws. Social networking has made it a little more complicated of a world in this area.

I like the way that Multnomah County Library deals with it. There are rules, but it is considered informal and ephemeral communication. You can find their policy on their web site.

You'll be happy to know that my city has decided to give this another look see. I have suggested some language that seems reasonable to the IT director and me and he is going to float it for me. Once that is revised, I'd be happy to share that with who could use it-just let me know.

Thanks for all of your wonderful responses. I love this list (thanks State Library!) and I love my colleagues!

Mo

 [cid:image001.jpg at 01CB9AE0.8623DC40]

Maureen Cole
mcole at orcity.org<mailto:mcole at ci.oregon-city.or.us>
Library Director
Oregon City Public Library
606 John Adams Street
Oregon City, Oregon 97045
503-657-8269 ext 1010
503-657-3702 Fax

Website: www.orcity.org/library<http://www.orcity.org/library>
PUBLIC RECORDS LAW DISCLOSURE:
This e-mail is subject to the State Retention Schedule and may be made available to the public.