[Libs-Or] New DVDs at OSL: Mobile Technology and Focus on Reference

Jennifer Maurer jennifer.maurer at state.or.us
Wed Dec 22 12:38:09 PST 2010

The College of DuPage sponsors a library webcast series, and this year's theme is Library Futures: Staying Ahead of the Curve.  Two archived webinars are now available to check out from the State Library as DVDs:  Libraries & the Mobile Technology Landscape and Redesigning Today's Public Services: Focus on Reference.  The webcasts were made available free of charge to staff from Oregon libraries through a statewide membership to BCR (now Lyrasis), paid for by the Oregon State Library with LSTA funds.  Running time for each DVD is 90 minutes.

Evaluation Survey for Technology Trends in Libraries
If you view/ed the webcast or the DVD, please take 5 minutes to fill out an online evaluation.
http://library.state.or.us/services/surveys/survey.php?sid=325

Descriptions from the College of DuPage Press<http://www.dupagepress.com/no_cache/library-learning-network/technology-trends-in-libraries-tools-skills-staffing-training/?sword_list%5b%5d=libraries>
Libraries & the Mobile Technology Landscape (broadcast 9/24/10):  "Joe Murphy will provide an overview of the emerging landscape of information engagement through mobile technology. He will introduce the major mobile technologies and outline their usage as well as the cultural shifts that accompany their introduction into information society. Joe will lead us through an exploration of the opportunities for libraries to implement mobile technologies to enhance or supplement traditional services and collections, and will explain how libraries can most strategically engage these tools as well as the mobile culture. We will discuss the real world changes this means for libraries and the new skills we may have to learn in this evolution. At the conclusion of this session we will all be familiar with how to best meet this shift towards mobile technologies in our libraries."

Redesigning Today's Public Services: Focus on Reference (broadcast 11/12/10): "Marie Radford, Ph.D., just back from Reference Renaissance 2010 in Denver, Colorado, and co-editor of Reference Renaissance: Current and Future Trends, will talk with you about re-designing library public services, focusing on reference.  The program will explore how reference services are evolving by incorporating new technologies, modes of delivery, and new staffing models.  And how do we assess this new style of reference service? Marie Radford, Ph.D., is an Associate Professor at Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey's School of Communication & Information and a leading library consultant."
Requesting Materials from OSL
If you would like to request this or other materials from the State Library, please use your library's established interlibrary loan process or send your full name, the name of your library, complete title information, work shipping address, and a phone number to the document delivery department at library.request at state.or.us<mailto:library.request at state.or.us> or (fax) 503-588-7119.  Be sure to check out our Library and Information Science blog (http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/) to discover the most recent additions to our LIS collection and search our catalog (http://oregon.gov/OSL/index.shtml) for our complete holdings.

You are also welcome to check out other DVDs from earlier series.
http://catalog.willamette.edu/search/X?SEARCH=college+of+dupage&SORT=D&searchscope=2

Thanks,
Jen

Jennifer Maurer