[Libs-Or] Multnomah County Library Recognized Among Top Ten Museums and Libraries by IMLS

Ann Reed reed_ann at oslmac.osl.state.or.us
Wed Feb 24 08:26:50 PST 2010

IMLS Director Anne Radice Recognizes Top Ten Museums and Libraries at Washington, D.C. Ceremony

California, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, and Tennessee Institutions Honored

Washington, DC- Anne-Imelda M. Radice, Director of the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and Susan Sher, First Lady Michelle Obama's chief of staff, presented the 2009 National Medal for Museum and Library Service to five museums and five libraries at a Washington, D.C. ceremony on February 23, 2010. Every year, IMLS awards the National Medal to museums and libraries that have demonstrated a long-term commitment to public service through innovative programs and community partnerships.

"We are so proud of these museums and libraries," said IMLS Director Anne-Imelda Radice, PhD. "Each one is a center of excellence providing knowledge, resource, and experiences to their communities. They are lifelong partners in discovery, imagination and learning that we can call on throughout our lives."

"A core belief of First Lady Michelle Obama and President Obama is that everyone should have access to art, poetry, music, and books, all of which are available in museums and libraries. I would like to express the First Lady's appreciation for everything you do day in and day out. We are grateful partners in these efforts, which are core to our country's success," said Susan Sher, First Lady Michelle Obama's Chief of Staff.

In conjunction with the awards ceremony, IMLS holds a symposium in which community members share compelling stories about how cultural institutions have changed their lives. Some of these and other community stories now can be preserved through an agreement between IMLS and StoryCorps. In addition to the National Medal and a $10,000 award, each 2009 Medal recipient will have the option of a three-day visit by StoryCorps. This independent nonprofit project honors and celebrates one another's lives through recorded conversations that can be shared through a free CD and is preserved at the Library of Congress.

The 2009 National Medal winners include:

1. Braille Institute Library Services, Los Angeles, CA
2. Children's Museum of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
3. Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal, Cincinnati, OH
4. Gail Borden Public Library, Elgin, IL
5. Indianapolis Museum of Art, Indianapolis, IN
6. Multnomah County Library, Portland, OR
7. Museum of Science & Industry, Tampa, FL
8. Pritzker Military Library, Chicago, IL
9. Stark County District Library, Canton, OH
10. Tennessee Aquarium, Chattanooga, TN

About the Institute of Museum and Library Services
The Institute of Museum and Library Services is the primary source of federal support for the nation's 123,000 libraries and 17,500 museums. The Institute's mission is to create strong libraries and museums that connect people to information and ideas. The Institute works at the national level and in coordination with state and local organizations to sustain heritage, culture, and knowledge; enhance learning and innovation; and support professional development. To learn more about the Institute, please visit www.imls.gov.

Ann Reed, Federal Programs Coordinator
Oregon State Library
250 Winter St. NE
Salem, OR 97301