[Libs-Or] Tiny Gale URLs

Jennifer Maurer maurer_jennifer at oslmac.osl.state.or.us
Wed Jan 6 10:15:59 PST 2010

After reading the Nov/Dec 2009   issue of Knowledge Quest,  a journal from AASL, I was impressed with the great articles and wanted  to share that info with folks.  Because the journal is included in  Gale's databases, I was able to find it by using the Browse  Publications feature in PowerSearch.

Many Gale databases have the Browse Publications feature in the top toolbar.  If it's not an option, click on Change Databases and you will be directed to the common menu that represents all of the statewide databases.  Do an "All Cross-Searchable Products" search, and you will wind up in the PowerSearch interface.
Recall  that you can bookmark an article or search results by clicking on the  yellow star or blue "i" in a circle, often found at the top right or  top left of the page.  Below is the Gale bookmark to the Nov/Dec 2009  issue of Knowledge Quest.  If it requires a password, it should be "oslis" without the quotes.

http://find.galegroup.com/gps/infomark.do?dblist=AONE_DC_IFME_ITOF_JRC_SRC-1_PROF_PPAG_PPBE_PPCA_PPCJ_PPCM_PPES_PPFA_PPGL_PPHI_PPNU_PPPC_PPPM_PPTH_STND_GVRL-0_HRCA_CDB_STOJ_STOM_LT&type=search&sort=DateDescend&tabID=T002&prodId=IPS&userGroupName=oslis&version=1.0&searchType=PublicationSearchForm&queryId=Locale%28en%2C%2C%29%3AFQE%3D%28JN%2CNone%2C17%29%22Knowledge+Quest%22%3AAnd%3ALQE%3D%28DA%2CNone%2C8%2920091101%24&source=gale&infoPage=infoMarkPage

Gale recognizes that   sometimes their URLs for saved articles and searches can be unwieldy, so they   have an application to convert them to “tiny” URLs.  When I used the feature,   the above URL became this:  http://www.tinygaleurl.com?iqhr8v.

You can email the   URLs (original or tiny), post them in pathfinders, add them to student reading   assignment pages, and more.

The Tiny URL app can   be accessed on Gale’s support page (their regular page, not the one geared   towards Oregon   libraries), http://support.gale.com/gale/index.html,   or directly at http://www.tinygaleurl.com/.

Thanks,
JenPS--I'm using web-based mail today, and that can create formatting problems.  The URLs might need to be pasted into a browser.

Jennifer Maurer
School Library Consultant
Library Development
Oregon State Library