[Libs-Or] Digital voice recorder features

Laura Orr Laura_Orr at co.washington.or.us
Mon Jan 11 11:01:17 PST 2010

Hi all:

I'm planning to record some interviews with one of our most remarkable
pro se litigants and an looking to purchase a digital voice recorder.  I
don't need anything high-end, but am thinking that features like
recording time, a USB connection, and voice-activation features are
useful, and pretty basic now.  The price range I'm finding (and am
aiming) for these features is between $60 and $150, but maybe I need to
think higher.

Do you have any suggestions or advice from your own experience?  Our
supplier has mostly Sony and Olympus models, if that makes any
difference.

Voice quality matters a lot - e.g. to use in a podcast; does voice
quality always correspond to price, in that "you get what you pay for"?
I'll keep checking the reviews, but I thought some hands-on
experience-advice might be useful.

I'm also reading up on the soft-side (vs. technical/recording side) of
oral histories, and have collected some useful articles, so may have
questions related to that later.

Many thanks!

Laura

Laura J. Orr