[Libs-Or] Digital voice recorder features: Summary of Responses

Laura Orr Laura_Orr at co.washington.or.us
Tue Jan 12 12:14:59 PST 2010

Hi all:

I got a wide array of responses, and ideas, and they are worth posting
for all. (My original question is at the bottom.)  I added TinyURLs for
some of long URLs, but let me know if you want me to resend. Many thanks
to all respondents for great food for thought!

Laura

SUMMARY:

1) Find an Mp3 recorder that automatically records the audio as an Mp3
file to avoid any need for conversion. Current recommendations include:
Sony ICD PX720. (Additional detailed instructions were included in email
message.)

2) Are you looking for a USB microphone to use in conjunction with a
laptop, or a standalone voice recorder?  If the former, automation just
purchased a groovy USB microphone for recording screencasts, and after
doing just one recording session, I love the results.

http://www.bluemic.com/yeti/

We bought it via amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Yeti-USB-Microphone/dp/B002VA464S
/ref=sr_1_1/191-1868508-9053417?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=126324
9976&sr=8-1
<http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Yeti-USB-Microphone/dp/B002VA464
S/ref=sr_1_1/191-1868508-9053417?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=12632
49976&sr=8-1>   (Or try: http://tinyurl.com/ydwcpsn
<http://tinyurl.com/ydwcpsn> )

3) We have recently used Audacity [free software] for Windows PCs and a
higher-end microphone to record interviews using a laptop with good
results.

Audacity is very versatile and easy to use.  Comparable software for
Apple computers is "Garage Band," but it is a product you must purchase.

4)  We bought a Snowball microphone from the Apple Store which worked
quite well for our podcasting.  It has a usb connection and is easy to
use.  It will pick up back ground noise (so do the interview somewhere
relatively quiet), but it easily captures groups of people talking.  It
was about $100.  I originally tried to mic each person with two
microphones of varying quality and I found that editing two audio tracks
was very difficult.  Keeping all voices on one track is the way to go
unless you want to spend a lot of time working on this.

http://www.google.com/products?q=snowball+microphone&rls=com.microsoft:e
n-us&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=-YVLS6GTK4L8sQOvupDKBg&sa=X&oi=product_re
sult_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CCUQrQQwAg (Or,
http://tinyurl.com/yag87sw <http://tinyurl.com/yag87sw> )

5)  I know you said low end but I'm going to tell you about what we use
for our podcasts and it's a bit more money, but it's a wonderful
recorder.  It's the Edirol HR09 and we've been using it for about 2
years.  It costs about 400.00 though. Here's a website that offers it in
portland.  We buy directly from Roland, the manufacturer.
http://www.portlandmusiccompany.com/r09.html
<http://www.portlandmusiccompany.com/r09.html>

6)  Call a couple of transcriptionist and find out what their
preferences are.  They may have some insight into the features they like
best when receiving from a client.   A few years ago I did some
recordings and the transcriptionist I spoke with changed pricing on
whether or not it was a digital recording that could be sent via email.