[Libs-Or] Portfolio Evaluators Needed by the Library Support Staff Certification Program

Jim Scheppke jim.b.scheppke at state.or.us
Wed Jun 2 12:24:02 PDT 2010

Colleagues: I was asked to post this announcement by the Library Support Staff Certification Program of ALA ....

Jim Scheppke, State Librarian
Oregon State Library

Library Support Staff Certification Program Recruits Portfolio Evaluators

The Library Support Staff Certification (LSSC) Program is recruiting librarians to evaluate online portfolios.    You can learn more about how to become a portfolio evaluator and how evaluation works on Monday, June 28 from 1:30 to 3:30 at the Grand Hyatt, Roosevelt-Wilson Room.

Portfolios will be evaluated by librarians who meet the following criteria:  a master’s degree in library science or in an area related to the competency set; experience in teaching, training, or writing in areas related to the competency set; or significant (more than five years preferred) of on-the-job experience in an area related to competency set.

The LSSC Program began accepting applications for candidacy on January 25th.  To be certified, candidates must achieve six of 10 competency sets.  Candidates can achieve these competency sets through participation in an approved course or by submitting an online portfolio.    The ten competency sets are:  Foundations of Library Service; Communication and Teamwork; Technology; Access Services; Adult Readers Advisory Services; Cataloging and Classification; Collection Management; Reference and Information Services; Supervision and Management; and Youth Services.

LSSC Project Co-Director Nancy Bolt says: “Many of our LSSC candidates are already busily preparing portfolios.  Now we need qualified librarians to assess those portfolios and advise the LSSC Program if the candidate should be given credit. This is a critical aspect of LSSC and we hope librarians will share their expertise with us.”

To be a portfolio evaluator, complete the application form at http://www.ala-apa.org/lssc/portfolioevaluators.html <http://www.ala-apa.org/lssc/portfolioevaluators.html> and email your resume to lssc at ala.org.  More information about LSSC and the portfolio evaluation process can be found at www.lssc.org <http://www.lssc.org/> .  Send questions to lssc at ala.org.