[Libs-Or] Bittorrent downloading in libraries--Any solutions?

GIBBON Cindy cindyg at multcolib.org
Mon Jun 28 16:19:26 PDT 2010

Greg, we aren't blocking bit torrent downloading, but we might consider
it if we could figure out a good way to do it.  Aside from all else, it
takes an awful lot of our wireless bandwidth and leaves other users
sometimes unable to do what they need to do.  However, our legal counsel
did suggest we add this statement to our Acceptable User of the Interent
rules and our click-thru agreement that all patrons must agree to at
log-in.  Our understanding is that from a legal standpoint, we do not
need to be concerned about library/county  liability in these
situations.  I think the principle is similar to the warnings that we
post a copy machines.  This statement comes out of a manual on copyright
issues for libraries which is sitting in my office (and I'm not) so I
can't dredge up the title right now.  Anyway, here are the words we
adapted:

Notice: Warning of Copyright Restrictions

As a patron, your ability to post or link to copyrighted material is
governed by United States copyright law. The library reserves the right
to delete or disable any post or link that, in the judgment of library
staff, violates copyright law. In accordance with 17 USC S 512
(i)(1)(A), the library may terminate a patron's access to the system or
network for disrespect of the intellectual property rights of others, or
for repeat infringements of copyright. The library has adopted this
policy and will make all reasonable effort to enforce it in appropriate
circumstances.

If your legal counsel wants to talk to ours, let me know.

Cindy

Cindy Gibbon
Senior Library Manager for
Access and IT Services