[Libs-Or] [Fwd: [alacro-l] 2010 Woman's Day magazine library contest open through May 9]

Suzanne Sager bvss at pdx.edu
Fri Mar 19 09:30:39 PDT 2010

FYI,

Suzanne L. Sager
Oregon ALA Chapter Councilor

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[alacro-l] 2010 Woman's Day magazine library contest open
through May 9
Date: 	Fri, 19 Mar 2010 12:10:41 -0400
From: 	Don Wood <dwood at ala.org>
To: 	<alacro-l at ala.org>

NEWS

For Immediate Release

March 19, 2010

2010 Woman's Day magazine library contest open through May 9

CHICAGO -- Libraries have until May 9 to promote Woman's Day magazine's
newest initiative, "why the library is important to my community." The
American Library Association (ALA) and Woman's Day are looking for
stories that showcase the importance and value of libraries within the
communities they serve.

Women ages 18 and up are invited to send in their stories in 700 words
or less to womansday at ala.org.  Up to four stories will be profiled in
the March 2011 issue of the magazine or at womansday.com.

Librarians can download free tools to help collect local stories from
the Campaign for America's Libraries Web site (www.ala.org/womansday
<http://www.ala.org/womansday>).  Tools include a sample press release
and newsletter copy.

A downloadable Web button that can be linked to the official rules on
the Woman's Day Web site (www.womansday.com/ala
<http://www.womansday.com/ala>) is also available.

The initiative continues a nine-year partnership between the magazine
and ALA's Campaign for America's Libraries that has generated millions
of dollars worth of editorial coverage for libraries.  Since 2002,
Woman's Day has asked its readers to write in about "how the library has
changed my life," "how the library helped improve my health" and "how
the library helped me deal with the tough economy."

Woman's Day magazine is a Partner in the Campaign for America's
Libraries (www.ala.org/@yourlibrary <http://www.ala.org/@yourlibrary>),
ALA's public awareness campaign that promotes the value of libraries and
librarians. Thousands of libraries of all types -- across the country
and around the globe - use the Campaign's @ your library® brand. The
Campaign is made possible by ALA's Library Champions, corporations and
foundations that advocate the importance of the library in American society.

Other Partners include Carnegie Corporation of New York, Disney Book
Group, Dollar General Literacy Foundation, the Financial Industry
Regulatory Authority (FINRA), the International Federation of Library
Associations and Institutions (IFLA), National Baseball Hall of Fame and
Museum, Univision Radio and Verizon.

Megan McFarlane

Campaign Coordinator

The Campaign for America's Libraries