[Libs-Or] 2010 APALA Scholarship Announcement
Linda Ueki Absher
absherl at pdx.edu
Mon Mar 8 12:43:32 PST 2010
FYI--the deadline is April 30, 2010.
Linda Ueki Absher
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [apala-l] 2010 APALA Scholarship Announcement
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2010 19:04:05 -0500
From: hwpaick at netscape.net
To: apala-l at lists.gseis.ucla.edu
Dear APALA Members.
2010 APALA Scholarship is announced. The Webpage information will be
updated soon. I have attached/posted slightly revised Scholarship
Criteria and important deadlines to remember.
Much appreciated if you all spread the word.
Heawon Paick, APALA Scholarship Committee Chair.
The Asian/Pacific American Librarians Association Scholarship will
provide financial assistance to a student of Asian or Pacific background
who is enrolled, or has been accepted into a master's or doctoral degree
program in library and/or information science at a library school
accredited by the American Library Association (ALA).
Eligibility Criteria for the Award
* Applicant must be attending or admitted into a master's degree or
doctoral program in library and/or information science at a
library school accredited by ALA.
* Applicant must be in library school by Fall 2010.
Â· Applicant may be either a full-time or part-time student.
* Applicant must be of Asian/Pacific Islander heritage.
* Applicant must be a citizen or permanent resident of the U. S. or
* Scholarship recipients may not receive more than one scholarship
* Successful candidate must join, be an active member of APALA, and
serve on the Scholarship Committee the following year.
How to Apply
Please enclose the following items in your application package:
* Completed Application Form MSWord
* One page essay on *ONE* of the following topics:
1. Your vision of a librarian's role in the twenty-first century.
2. What contributions can I make as an APA Librarian?
* Copies of the letter of acceptance to an ALA accredited library
school and library graduate school transcript or undergraduate
* Two letters of recommendation. Letters should highlight the
applicant's academic and personal abilities and his/her potential
to make positive contributions to the library profession.
Scholarship applications and all supporting documents, should be
submitted to the APALA Scholarship Committee Chair, and must be received
via email with â??APALA Scholarshipâ?? as Subject no later than April
Selection Procedures and Timeline
* The APALA Scholarship Committee will select the scholarship
* The Scholarship Committee Chair will receive the completed
Application Packages by April 30.
* Copies of the application packages received will be distributed to
the APALA Scholarship Committee members by May 10.
* The Scholarship Committee members will review the applications and
submit recommendations for scholarship recipients to the Committee
Chair by May 31.
* The Committee will select final candidates by June 4. The
Committee Chair will notify the final candidates as well as the
other candidates who were not selected.
* The scholarship check will be distributed to the recipient by
August 29. Proof of enrollment for the Fall semester in an
accredited library science program must be provided to the
Scholarship Committee before check will be distributed to the
* The scholarship shall be administered under the By Laws of APALA.
* One $1000 scholarship will be awarded. However, if the Scholarship
Fund should grow to an extent that sufficient income is available
to finance more than one scholarship every year, the Scholarship
Committee shall have the authority to award additional
scholarships as authorized by the Executive Board. Additional
scholarships will be awarded based on the same criteria and
factors as the initial awards.
* In the event that no applicants satisfy the above-mentioned
criteria and factors in a given year, no scholarship will be
awarded, with the option to grant additional scholarships the
The Scholarship Committee Chair must receive the completed application
packages by April 30, 2010. If you have any further questions, please
contact the Chair of the Scholarship Committee. Completed application
packages must be sent via email with APALA Scholarship as Subject to
Heawon Paick at heawonpaick at gmail.com
Chair, APALA Scholarship Committee
Junipero Serra Branch
Los Angeles Public Library
heawonpaick at gmail.com
Linda Ueki Absher / Reference Librarian for the Humanities
Portland State University Library / Portland, OR
absherl at pdx.edu / (503) 725-4713
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Libs-Or