[Libs-Or] experimental volunteer system

Patrick Goodman patrick at jcld.org
Thu May 13 10:39:26 PDT 2010

Hello everybody,

   We are currently beginning a new volunteer system for our library,
and thought some of you might be interested.

Title: High circulation materials preservation for small to
medium-sized public libraries

Aims: To allow for volunteers to have a variety of duites to perform,
while offering them pertinent information on what they're doing and
why it's important. The goal is to create a sense of necessity and
pride in the work being performed.

For the library, the system creates a continual, cyclical performance
of important duties. It aims to takes away the headache of trying to
find busy work for volunteers, while making sure that all collections
materials are being properly handled and cared for on a regular basis.
The system also allows for easy overview of each volunteer's
abilities. Volunteer training is required.

This system is in it's test stages here, so if you're feeling that
you'd like to have a go, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Included in the attachments:
- Description of volunteer duties
- Volunteer check-list
- Secondary duties sheets