[Libs-Or] [Fwd: [alacoun] New ALA Online Learning "pod" and page]

Suzanne Sager bvss at pdx.edu
Tue May 18 11:21:49 PDT 2010

FYI,

Suzanne L. Sager
Oregon ALA Chapter Councilor

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[alacoun] New ALA Online Learning "pod" and page
Date: 	Tue, 18 May 2010 14:01:25 -0400
From: 	Keith Michael Fiels <kfiels at ala.org>
To: 	<alacoun at ala.org>

Dear Councilors:

I am really pleased to report that we have officially launched ALA
Online Learning:- http://www.ala.org/ala/onlinelearning/index.cfm, a new
section of the ALA website showcasing all web-based professional
development opportunities across the Association.

This new section will allow website visitors to easily find all ALA
online training in one place for the first time ever. The new
collaborative catalog is organized into five categories. Delving into
the categories leads to more than 20 topics that cover the gamut of
practice, trends, and services in librarianship:

· Collection Management

· Issues and Advocacy

· Management Issues for Library Leaders

· School Libraries

· Service Delivery in Libraries

Online learning opportunities include webinars (live sessions), webcasts
(pre-recorded sessions), online courses, and e-forums (interactive,
asynchronous events with a defined duration). As web-based professional
development programs are added to the site, they will appear in this new
section. Although one purpose of the site is to expand the audience for
the offerings of all units, you can also easily find online learning
offered by a particular unit under “Offerings by ALA Units.” Units
working on online learning opportunities will be listed when they are
ready to promote their offerings.

A single access point for all ALA online learning has been a personal
dream for years, and I would like to particularly thank Jenifer Grady
and the many ALA staff members who worked with her on this project for
“making it happen”. In today’s economic climate, online learning will be
more important than ever. Thanks to the new ALA Online Learning section,
we can now access the rich offerings of the entire Association from a
single page.

Keith

Keith Michael Fiels

Executive Director