[Libs-Or] Help govern OCLC

John Helmer jhelmer at uoregon.edu
Wed Nov 3 09:52:50 PDT 2010

Northwest colleagues,

We are writing to encourage you to consider serving as an officer in the
Americas Regional Council (ARC) or delegate to the OCLC Global Council
(GC).  ARC represents Canada, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the
United States and the GC includes delegates from around the world.  This
year, we'll be electing 16 GC delegates from the America's.

Why consider adding this to your busy work life?

    * It is important and enjoyable work that gives you a chance to help
      shape an international library cooperative.
    * As a GC delegate, you will vote to elect a substantial number of
      members of the Board of Trustees.
    * Serving on these groups gives you a direct role in representing
      member libraries and influencing OCLC products and services.
    * Finally, it seems clear that OCLC is important to our work and
      needs our involvement.

No librarian encounters OCLC without some significant previous
experience so whether you love it or question it, get involved and help
make OCLC what it should be.

Many people from Northwest libraries have served as delegates, including
current service by the four of us.  Please feel free to contact any or
all of us if you have any questions.  See below for the nominations process.

Best wishes.

Dalia Corkrum, Whitman College
Susan Barnes Whyte, Linfield College
Pat French, Multnomah County Library