[Libs-Or] Opportunity to help young scholar who needs help on making up a survey about Open Data mandates

hleman at samhealth.org hleman at samhealth.org
Tue Oct 12 20:48:25 PDT 2010

Hi, all. I just read the blog post below by Heather Piwowar, an informatician and a quite interesting , very bright person. The post is edifying in and of itself and it may that some of you might have suggestions to offer her the construction of surveys. I t would be nice to connect librarians with those who, like Heather, are studying new modes of scientific communication:

Prelim proposal: impact of journal data sharing mandates

http://researchremix.wordpress.com/2010/10/12/journalpolicyproposal/

Heather writes, "Do you want to know the impact of journal policies that mandate data sharing?  Me too.  I’ve been working on a study design to correlate policy adoption by journals with changes in scientists’ attitudes, experiences, and practices around publicly archiving research datasets.

I’d love some community input because writing a good survey and design is hard.  Summary and a link to the draft questionnaire are below.  I’m still finishing up the document to be submitted to my research ethics board ASAP.  Thoughts or suggestions?  I want it to be a useful study, one that focuses on just a few questions and studies them well."

Thanks for listening!

Hope Leman, MLIS
Research Information Technologist
Center for Health Research and Quality