[Libs-Or] Fwd: FW: Librarians will not be Shushed

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 17:50:03 PDT 2011

Here is the link to a good article in the Oregonian.  This was sent to me by
one of the SDAO lobbyists.

Beaverton School District librarians will not be shushed as they fight for
their jobs in face of budget
cuts<http://www.oregonlive.com/beaverton/index.ssf/2011/04/beaverton_school_district_librarians_will_not_be_shushed_as_they_fight_for_their_jobs_in_face_of_bud.html>

*Oregonian*

"At Ridgewood Elementary, librarian Debbie Alvarez taught students how to
build a PowerPoint slide around a poem. At the International School of
Beaverton, Rosa Rothenberger helped a social studies teacher find books and
materials to create an Asian history class. At Highland Park Middle
School,Terri Kuechle teaches students how to focus their online research, to
cite their work and to avoid plagiarism. Parents may know the names of their
children's classroom teachers, but it's unlikely they know the school
librarian or what she does on a daily basis. 'That's always been the bane of
our profession,' said Susan Stone,  president-elect of the Oregon
Association of School Libraries. 'We've got to shout about what we do.'"

--

*Diedre Conkling**
Lincoln County Library District