[Libs-Or] Interesting piece: "I'm sorry, but I can't help you..."

Bob Jones Bob.Jones at milton-freewater-or.gov
Mon Aug 1 14:38:44 PDT 2011

Interesting, indeed.  Unfortunately, we have many tiny, grossly underfunded public libraries here in eastern Oregon, who literally cannot afford to purchase even one e-book reader for staff or public use.

Don't believe it?  Peruse the statistics available from the State Library.  You might find it hard to understand how anyone can run a library on such minimal funding.

Even the comparatively well-off libraries in this end of the state are almost poverty-stricken compared with libraries serving similar populations on the west side.

It's not that the residents here are cheapskates.  They simply have much lower average incomes than their counterparts west of the Cascades.

-Bob Jones, MA, MSLS, CAS
Milton-Freewater Public Library