[Libs-Or] What are reference desks called these days?: Mobile Means Many Things

Laura Orr Laura_Orr at co.washington.or.us
Wed Aug 24 15:42:40 PDT 2011

This is wonderful.  It's like that very funny U of O librarian way back
when who explained that the a librarian "taxonomist" was a male
cataloger - LOL!  (By the way, Hope, what's a "Research Information
Technologist?")

I've often thought we should keep moving along the proverbial
library-service spectrum and take "reference" even further, i.e. out of
the library, literally, not just via e-gadget.  That is, my next "job"
would be to fit out (aka pimp) a book cart to be a real mobile law
library and set up shop outside a courthouse with a couple sets of
necessary books and a computer - and a law librarian or two (and a
coffee pot!).  Of course I would skip the What to call the "Reference
Desk" dilemma and just have a sign that reads:

A Buck a Cup and a Legal Research Question (a food for thought cart)

I worked on a bookmobile decades ago, and come from a city of food carts
(Philadelphia) so maybe that's why the outdoor book cart idea works for
me.  We didn't have a reference desk on the bookmobile - just a counter
near the driver's seat.  We had such fun and the patrons loved it.

By the way, most of the library usability surveys I see seem to query
library patrons or students about library terminology.  There must be
some studies out there that query the non-patron or the non-student on
what would make a library not so intimidating when walking into one (or
happening upon the library's webpage), the way I feel when I walk into
Home Depot.  Did I miss a study like that in Kupersmith's list?  A lot
of people understand "Customer Service" counters.  It's not pretty, or
dreamy (a perfect descriptor for Answerland!), but don't most people
know what "Customer Service" means whether they are at the DMV or
Nordstrom's or Home Depot or a library, of any kind?

I do still call library patrons "patrons" but would be quite happy to
call them/us "customers" if it makes the library more familiar and
welcoming to more people, especially the law library, where you have to
be really, really brave to visit and I don't want to set up any more
barriers than already exist.

Laura

Laura J. Orr
Law Librarian